Change text size:   Increase font size   Reduce font size  |   Print page:   Print this page
  |   Contact us   

Legal and conveyancing  

Legal Service providers

The Office of Legal Services Commissioner (OLSC) receives complaints against solicitors and barristers in New South Wales. Disputes may relate to poor communication, costs, mistakes, delays and poor service. Where a dispute involves misconduct, OLSC may refer the complaint to the Law Society, Bar Association or government organisation for investigation.

The Office may be contacted toll free on 1800 242 958 or visit their website at


OLSC complaint service also includes fee disputes. Disputes regarding the fairness of costs charged by a barrister or solicitor are excluded from the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal under Section 7(5) of the Consumer Claims Act 1998.

Magistrates and Court Judges

Complaints regarding magistrates and court judges can also be referred to the Judicial Commission. Visit their website at


If you want to buy or sell a home, land or investment property you’ll have to sign a sale contract. The legal work involved in preparing the sale contract, mortgage and other related documents, is called conveyancing. It’s possible to do your own conveyancing, however, most people get a licensed conveyancer or solicitor to do the work for them. You can search for a do-it-yourself conveyancing kit online.