Registry Services is the unit within NSW Fair Trading responsible for regulating:
- co-operatives registered under the Co-operatives Act 1992
- co-operative housing and Starr-Bowkett societies registered under the Co-operative Housing & Starr-Bowkett Societies Act 1998
- incorporated associations registered under the Associations Incorporations Act 2009
- contributory and pre-paid funeral funds registered under the Funeral Funds Act 1979.
Registry Services is also responsible for administering the registers for:
- limited partnerships and incorporated limited partnerships under the Partnerships Act 1892
- solicitor corporations.
Functions of Registry Services
Registry Services functions are to:
- assist with the establishment and registration of co-operatives, incorporated associations, funeral funds, limited partnerships and incorporated limited partnerships
- maintain public registers for the entities regulated by Registry Services, including rules for the Country Women’s Association
- ensure regulated entities meet their legislative responsibilities through proactive, risk based compliance programs
- support entities and their members in their compliance obligations by providing timely and accurate services, including processing documentation and responding to queries and complaints
- educate and inform those entities and their members of Registry Services' role and activities, legal frameworks and their rights and responsibilities
- review current laws and implement law changes, such as the Co-operatives National Law, to reflect community needs and government objectives
- support other Government departments in their operations.
Guarantee of service
Registry Services guarantees:
- processing of approved applications for name reservation and registration of incorporated associations within 5 business days of lodgement by mail
- processing of completed annual summaries of financial affairs for incorporated associations within 10 business days of lodgement by mail
- registration of new co-operatives within 28 days of receipt of finalised documents.
PO Box 22
154 Russell Street
Bathurst NSW 2795
DX 3123 Bathurst
Telephone: 6333 1400
FreeCall: 1800 502 042
Fax: 6333 1444
Top of page