Change text size:   Increase font size   Reduce font size  |   Print page:   Print this page
  |   Contact us   

Licensing and certification 

The Property, Stock and Business Agents Act 2002 requires anyone who wishes to carry on business as one of the following, to have a licence:

  • real estate agent
  • stock and station agent
  • business agent
  • strata/community managing agent or
  • on-site residential property manager.

Similarly, those commencing work in the industry are required to apply for a certificate of registration. Different certificate of registration categories apply to the different industry sectors. A certificate of registration may be granted to work as a:

  • real estate salesperson
  • stock and station salesperson
  • business salesperson or
  • registered manager.

The requirement to hold a licence generally includes anyone providing services relating to the selling of real estate or the booking of holiday accommodation.

An exemption from the Act has been granted to short term accommodation booking agents (not more than 2 months) as long as they do not accept money from people booking short-term accommodation.

Applying for a licence or certificate
Disqualified persons

Top of page