Change text size:   Increase font size   Reduce font size  |   Print page:   Print this page
  |   Contact us   

Being a landlord 

When you rent out a home in NSW and become a 'landlord', knowing your rights and responsibilities will help you avoid or resolve differences you may have with your tenant.

In this section, you will find information to help you understand what the tenancy laws in NSW mean for you, at the beginning, middle or end of a tenancy.

Starting a tenancy
During a tenancy
Ending a tenancy

Information you must give new tenants

Landlords and agents must provide tenants with a copy of the New tenant checklist before they sign a residential tenancy agreement. Fines can be imposed if this is not done. You can print copies of the New tenant checklist for free from the Fair Trading website.  

Residential tenancy complaint service

NSW tenants, landlords and property managers can use Fair Trading’s new tenancy complaint service to resolve selected residential tenancy complaints or disputes.

The free voluntary service provides a convenient alternative to having residential tenancy matters heard by the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT). An experienced Fair Trading Officer will aim to finalise the complaint through mutual agreement.

If Fair Trading cannot get the parties to agree to a resolution, either party may lodge a claim with NCAT.

Learn more about this free service and whether Fair Trading can look into your matter on the Residential tenancy complaint service page on the Fair Trading website or call our 13 32 20 hotline with your tenancy questions.

Rental Bonds Online

In July 2015 NSW Fair Trading introduced Rental Bonds Online (RBO), a new service to lodge, manage and refund rental bonds. You can find out more on RBO by visiting the Rental Bonds Online for private landlords web page. Further information is also included on our Frequently asked questions for private landlords web page.

Get a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader so you can access PDF versions of our information.