Change text size:   Increase font size   Reduce font size  |   Print page:   Print this page
  |   Contact us   

Home building licensing 

Reforms to home building laws

From 15 January 2015 new home building laws commenced. Further amendments will start on 1 March 2015. For more information, go to the Major changes to home building laws page.

You must have a contractor licence to contract, subcontract or advertise to do:

  • residential building work where the total cost of labour and materials is more than $5,000
  • electrical wiring work
  • plumbing, draining and gas fitting work
  • air conditioning and refrigeration work (except plug-in appliances).

Licensing helps stamp out illegitimate operators from the industry and creates a level playing field for all tradespeople.

Caution. By law, your licence number must be shown on all advertising, stationery and signage.

If you work without the proper licence, you are breaking the law and can be fined. Second or subsequent convictions for contracting or advertising for unlicensed work may result in imprisonment. Also, you will be unable to enforce a contract for the work against the other party.

This section provides the following licensing information: