Email link to this pagePrint this pageReduce font sizeIncrease font size

General concreting 

For licensing purposes, the class of general concreting covers the work involved in carrying out:

  • the laying/placement of concrete
  • excavation work required as preparation for the laying/placement of concrete (excavation work by a general concreter does not cover extensive site preparation requiring shoring of excavations or where the structural stability of an adjacent site or structure may be compromised; in such situations the services of a licensed excavator or builder should be engaged)
  • formwork erection (also able to be performed by the holder of the class of carpentry), reinforcement fixing and concreting work associated with the erection of a dwelling or associated with the erection of a garage, an outbuilding, a swimming pool or another structure constructed or to be constructed for use in conjunction with any such dwelling
  • stencilling of concrete
  • stamped pattern concrete
  • exposed aggregate work or pebblecreting or similar work
  • repair of concrete work
  • concrete resurfacing
  • concrete retaining walls not requiring approval under the Local Government Act 1993 (retaining walls requiring such approval are considered to be structural landscaping for the purposes of the Home Building Act 1989).


(1) Completion of:

  • CPC30313 or CPC30311 Certificate III in Concreting; OR
  • CPC31511 Certificate III in Formwork/Falsework.


(2) Completion of any of the following qualifications:

  • CPC30308 Certificate III in Concreting or
  • CPC31508 / CPC31511 Certificate III in Formwork/Falsework or
  • BCG30303 Certificate III in Concreting or 
  • TAFE course 4428 Certificate III in Construction Carpentry or 
  • Qualification 90203 Certificate III in Construction Carpentry, Trade TAFE course #8044 or 
  • Qualification 11770 Certificate III in Construction Carpentry, Trade TAFE course #7906.

Previous licence holders

If you have ever held a licence in the prescribed classes (Home Building Regulation 2004, clause 46, excluding subsection (1)(a)) and you apply for a new licence, your previous licence will be accepted in lieu of the current qualification requirements.

To find a Registered Training Organisation that provides the qualification listed above, refer to the information on building licensing courses.


Fair Trading has produced a checklist in PDF format (size: 10kb) to help you make sure you have everything you need to lodge your application at a Fair Trading Centre or Government Access Centre. Please print a copy, complete it and attach it to your documents.

Go to top of page iconTop of page

Get a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader so you can access PDF versions of our information.

Email link to this pagePrint this pageReduce font sizeIncrease font size