Lodge a tenancy complaint


Fair Trading can help resolve certain Tenancy problems only, while all other types of Tenancy issues must be dealt with by the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT).


Is your complaint one of these:


  • repairs and maintenance
  • non-urgent health and safety issues
  • alterations to premises
  • access to premises or inspections
  • non-compliance with tenancy agreement
  • water saving devices and smoke alarms
  • provision of correct notices
  • ending a tenancy or breaking a lease
  • condition reports
  • unsatisfactory Property Management by agent
  • rent / occupancy fees
  • non-lodgement of a rental bond
  • reduction in features / benefits / facilities
  • refund for overpaid rent
  • high / unknown fees or charges



  • This is a free and voluntary complaint service however, you may choose to go directly to the Tribunal.

  • Fair Trading also funds the Tenants Advisory and Advocacy Services. Information concerning TAAS is available at http://www.tenants.org.au/


OR Is your complaint one of these:


  • public or social housing matters




OR  is your complaint one of these:


  • urgent health and safety issues
  • an Apprehended Violence Order (AVO) or violence related matters
  • lockouts and evictions
  • termination
  • illegal activity
  • serious damage to the property
  • rental arrears in excess of 14 days
  • rental bond matters