Change text size:   Increase font size   Reduce font size  |   Print page:   Print this page
  |   Contact us   
Standard fact sheet.

Trade shows  

This information is provided to assist motor vehicle dealers including dealers of towable recreation vehicles (e.g. caravans). If you are unsure of your obligations, you should refer to the Motor Dealers and Repairers Act 2013 (the Act), the Motor Dealers and Repairers Regulation 2014 (the Regulation), or seek legal advice.

Who needs to be licensed?

If you are in the business of buying, selling or exchanging (including offering or displaying for sale) motor vehicles (including trailers or towable recreation vehicles) you are required to hold a NSW motor dealers licence.

A trailer is a vehicle built to be towed by a motor vehicle and is not capable of being propelled on roads without being towed. This does not include a trailer with a tare weight of 250 kilograms or less.

A towable recreation vehicle is a trailer with a living and/or sleeping space and includes a caravan, fifth wheeler, pop-top caravan, camper trailer or tent trailer.

Trading premises

A licensee must only offer or display motor vehicles at the place of business specified in their licence with the exception of display at trade shows.

Trade show exception

A licensed dealer can offer and display new motor vehicles at a trade show. You can advise customers on the quality, performance and characteristics of the vehicles but can only make offers to enter into agreements for their sale. The receipt of a deposit may be permitted if the balance of the purchase price and exchange of the vehicle is concluded at the place of business specified in the licence.

Second-hand motor vehicles, including demonstrators, cannot be displayed at a trade show. 

Interstate dealers and manufacturers

If you offer, display or advertise for sale motor vehicles within NSW, whether at a trade show or otherwise, you or your NSW selling agent must hold a NSW motor dealers licence. Any such offer, display or advertising must be carried out by the NSW licensed dealer and any contract entered into must be with the NSW licensed dealer.

More information

For further information on your obligations as a motor dealer, please see the following:

Get a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader so you can access PDF versions of our information.