Change text size:   Increase font size   Reduce font size  |   Print page:   Print this page
  |   Contact us   

Property management 

Property agents must register for Rental Bonds Online by 30 January 2017

From 30 January 2017, property agents must be registered with Rental Bonds Online (RBO), Fair Trading's easy and secure service to manage bonds online. Agents must also offer the service to new tenants as the first option for lodgement of their bond. More information is available on the Rental Bonds Online (RBO) changes to residential tenancy laws webpage.

Information on registering as a user is available on the RBO Property agents webpage.


Around 4,000 agencies in NSW manage rented residential premises on behalf of property owners.

Under the Residential Tenancies Act 2010, the landlord or landlord's agent must give tenants the New tenant checklist before entering into a residential tenancy agreement.

Properties with swimming pools and spa pools

A valid certificate of compliance or valid occupation certificate (issued in the past 3 years) must be provided to the tenant when entering into a new residential tenancy agreement for a property with a swimming or spa pool after 29 April 2016. Pool owners wanting to rent out or sell their property should be aware that work may be needed before a certificate can be issued. This requirement does not apply to properties in strata or community schemes with more than two lots, as these properties are already inspected by Councils every 3 years.

Contact your local council or an accredited private certifier for details on how to obtain a certificate of compliance, or visit the Swimming pools page on the Fair Trading website for more information.

Residential tenancy and real estate complaint service

NSW tenants, landlords and agents can use Fair Trading’s tenancy and real estate complaint service for help with certain tenancy complaints or disputes.

The free voluntary service provides a convenient alternative to having matters heard by the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT). A Fair Trading Officer will aim to finalise the complaint through mutual agreement.

Find out more about this free service and whether Fair Trading can look into your matter on the Residential tenancy and real estate complaint service page on the Fair Trading website.


For more information on Retail tenancy (renting a retail property) visit the Office of the Small Business Commissioner website

NBN, fire and lift services

The migration of fixed line and internet services to the NBN network may affect monitored fire alarms and lift phones. Read our overview on how you can assist the migration process for these critical safety services.