Change text size:   Increase font size   Reduce font size  |   Print page:   Print this page
  |   Contact us   

Boarding house residents links and contacts 

As a boarding house resident, you can get assistance from the following agencies:

Government agencies

Ageing, Disability & Home Care (ADHC) is responsible for licensing assisted boarding houses. These provide accommodation to two or more people with additional needs. If you live in an assisted boarding house or have any questions about assisted boarding houses, contact ADHC. For more information go to the Boarding house program page on the ADHC website. 

Housing NSW has programs to assist all sections of the community with their housing needs. This includes programs to provide people with emergency and temporary accommodation. For contact information go to the Contact us page on the Housing NSW website.

The NSW Civic and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT) can receive applications from boarding house proprietors and residents regarding disputes about the Occupancy Principles which proprietors and residents are unable to resolve themselves. For more information contact NCAT on 1300 006 228, or go to the NCAT website.

Mental Health Line is a state-wide 24-hour mental health telephone access service. Anyone with a mental health issue can call the Mental Health Line on 1800 011 511 to speak with a mental health professional.

Local Councils have an important role in approving new boarding houses and regulating the standard of accommodation provided in existing boarding houses. The Local Government Directory provides contact details for all councils in NSW. It is available from the Division of Local Government website.

Community support organisations

Charities may be able to offer assistance to boarding house residents experiencing financial or other hardship. These include:

Community Legal Centres (CLCs) are independent community organisations providing equitable and accessible legal services. CLCs work for the public interest, particularly for disadvantaged and marginalised people and communities. CLCs provide legal advice and assistance, and also encourage and enable people to develop skills to be their own advocates. For more information and to find your nearest CLC go to: or phone: 02 9212 7333 or email:

The NSW Tenants Union (TU) has developed some information for boarding house residents. This information is available from the TU website.

Boarding House Outreach Project (BHOP) is based at the Newtown Neighbourhood Centre in Sydney’s Inner West. The Neighbourhood Centre provides a range of services to meet community needs including housing support, counselling, shopping service, English classes, regular community BBQs and much more.

BHOP provides outreach services to people who are homeless and seeking boarding house accommodation and people transitioning from boarding house accommodation to secure housing. Access to these resources and information about BHOP is available from the ‘Boarding House Services’ section of the Newtown Neighbourhood Centre website.

Top of page