Change text size:   Increase font size   Reduce font size  |   Print page:   Print this page
  |   Contact us   
Standard fact sheet.
Large print fact sheet.

Owner-builder approved education requirement 

If you intend to undertake home building work valued at over $10,000 you will need an owner–builder permit. If the work is valued at more than $20,000 you will also need to complete certain units of competency or have the approved equivalent qualifications and experience. Additionally, for any work requiring an owner-builder permit you must hold a current general construction induction training card (within the meaning of the Work Health and Safety Regulation 2011), generally referred to as a White Card.

Owner-Builder Education Requirement 

The owner-builder education requirement consists of the following units of competency:

  • CPCCOHS2001A Apply OHS, requirements, policies and procedures in the construction industry
  • CPCCCM2001A Read and interpret plans and specification
  • CPCCCM1011A Undertake basic estimation and costing
  • CPCCCM1013A Plan and organise work
  • CPCCCM1014A Conduct workplace communication

From 1 January 2011, the 91509NSW Course in Owner-Builder Compliance met the education requirement. This Course will continue to meet the requriement if you have completed it, although the Course is no longer available after 15 July 2015.

Any other owner-builder course which may have been previously undertaken is not recognised as meeting the education requirements for undertaking owner-builder work.

Top of page

Lodging a permit application 

After completing the units of competency (above), you can lodge your permit application, together with relevant documentation, online or at your nearest Service NSW centre.

If these documents meet all the necessary criteria, and the application fee is paid, your application can then be assessed. An online application can take up to 2 business days to process and you will receive advice on your application by email. If you apply at a Service NSW centre and your application is successful your permit can be issued while you wait. 

Visit the Becoming an owner builder page on the Fair Trading website for more information on getting a permit.

Top of page

Cost and duration 

Course providers seek to deliver training that meets the needs of their customers. The required units of competency may be delivered online, by distance and face-to-face or in any combination of methods. The price and delivery options should be discussed with training providers to find the option which is most suited to your circumstances.

Top of page

Owner builder education providers 

Listed below are some organisations that may be able to deliver the required five units of competency. Before enrolling in any training, you should ensure the provider is a Registered Training Organisation that is approved to deliver these units. To check the RTO status of a training provider visit

101 Education Pty Ltd

1010 ID Pty Ltd (SAFERITE)

123ABE Education

AAA Abacus Owner Builder Online (Absolute Education)

AAA Training Specialist

Abacus Training and AAATS Abacus Accessible Adult Training

Advance Consulting and Training

Australian Owner Builder Centre

CoreBuild Training Solutions

Live and Learn Pty Ltd

Southern Cross Rail Training Pty Ltd


TAFE NSW – North Coast Institute
Ph: 1300 628 233

TAFE NSW Western Sydney Institute

Trades College Australia  and

Top of page

Current general construction induction training card 

Contact SafeWork NSW to find out how to apply for a general construction induction card, generally referred to as a White Card. This is a mandatory requirement for all owner-builder permit applications.

Get a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader so you can access PDF versions of our information.