Change text size:   Increase font size   Reduce font size  |   Print page:   Print this page
  |   Contact us   

Preparing for building and renovating 

Building or renovating when using a properly insured and licensed builder or tradesperson can be a very rewarding and exciting experience.

Fair Trading can help you

NSW Fair Trading is the NSW Government agency which regulates the home building industry.

The Home Building Act 1989 is the law which provides protection for consumers. You should deal only with a builder or tradesperson who is currently licensed.

Before you sign anything from a contractor:

  • go to our online home building licence check and make sure the contractor’s licence is current and valid for the work you want done
  • or call us on 13 32 20 and our customer service officers will do a licence check for you.