Change text size:  Increase font size  Reduce font size  |  Print page:  Print this page
  |  Contact us   

Using a gasfitter 

Always use a licensed gasfitter for any installation, repair or renovation work on or around your home that involves gas. This means jobs like installing a hot water system, a kitchen stove or a heater.

You should also use a licensed gasfitter where the work being done at your home might involve disconnecting or relocating gas appliances. For example, if you are renovating your kitchen and need to replace or move your gas stove, you should use a licensed gasfitter.

Do not be tempted to do any work on gas connections or gas appliances yourself. If you use a tradesperson who does not have specialist gas knowledge and skills, or you try to do the work yourself, you could be putting yourself and your family in serious danger.

There are about 16,000 gasfitters in NSW that are licensed by NSW Fair Trading to carry out gas fitting work and many plumbers are also licensed gasfitters.

Always check that the gasfitter you are thinking of using is licensed to carry out gasfitting work. Check a gasfitters licence details online or call 13 32 20 to do a licence check.

Gas regulation 

On 3 September 2010, NSW Fair Trading took over the regulation of all gas connections and installations in NSW.

In NSW there are many types of gas available to consumers:

  • natural gas
  • liquid petroleum gas (LPG), generally available in re-fillable cylinders for home, boat, caravan and portable appliances such as a BBQ
  • butane and tempered LPG, depending where you live.

Gas appliances are designed to only operate on one of these types of gas supply. It is very important that you know what type of gas supply is used in your home before you buy any gas appliance. You must be sure to buy the right kind of appliance for the gas supply to your home.

Top of page

Gas appliances 

All gas appliances must be tested, certified and appropriately labelled before they can be sold and installed in NSW.

Appliances are tested for compliance against certain criteria which include   safety, combustion, efficiency, durability, and serviceability.

Gas components such as controls, cocks, valves, regulators etc, must also be certified if they are to be incorporated into an appliance or used in an installation.

Gasfitters are aware that they may only install certified appliances and products.

Authorised appliances must carry certain labels and you should look for these when looking to buy a gas appliance. For more information, about buying safe gas appliances including images of the certifying labels, go to the Gas appliances page.

Compliance certificates

After installing a gas appliance in your home, or doing any work on your gas installation, the licensed gasfitter must give you a Certificate of compliance (for network gas) or Certificate of inspection (for bottled gas). The certificates confirm that a licensed gasfitter has undertaken the work which complies with the relevant industry standards. A certificate must include the licensee’s name and license number.

A certificate is your evidence of work undertaken and protects you against faulty work. If the installation is faulty the gasfitter will be required to return and fix the problem.

If you are concerned about the quality of the gas fitting work, you should discuss the problem with the gasfitter. If you are unable to resolve the issue, contact Fair Trading.

Top of page

Gas safety 

Always treat any gas leak as a potential lethal risk.

If you smell gas in your property:

  • exit the building immediately, call 000 and ask for the NSW Fire Service
  • if safe to do so, turn off the gas at your gas meter or cylinder
  • turn off all appliances (including electrical) and pilot lights
  • open all doors and windows for ventilation – only if safe to do so
  • extinguish all naked flames and ensure cigarettes are not lit
  • contact a licensed gasfitter
  • contact your gas supplier, their phone number can be found on your gas bill.

Top of page

LP gas safety alert 

It is absolutely essential that consumers be aware of the safety issues surrounding all LP gas cylinders, including small cylinders.

LP gas is widely used for barbecues and camping. It is heavier than air, so it will accumulate in low areas rather than dissipate. It can generate an explosive mixture with air if the cylinder or attached equipment leaks.

Explosions and fires have occurred when cylinders of LP gas (propane) or acetylene have been carried or left in closed vehicles, such as vans or cars.

Spark sources in a car’s electrical components such as remote locking systems, electric motors (starter motor, wipers, aerial), ignition systems, radios and sound systems, cigarette lighters, and possibly light switches can ignite the flammable gas mixture. Lighting a cigarette in a vehicle which is carrying flammable gas may also ignite the mixture.

Consumers must ensure that LP gas cylinders are transported in the upright position and are appropriately and firmly secured.

Filling LPG cylinders

Refillable gas cylinders for use with appliances such as barbeques and gas heaters must only be filled if they have a current, legible test mark of a certified gas cylinder test station which is not more than 10 years old.

Gas cylinder filling stations must only fill gas cylinders that have a current (not more than 10 years old), legible test mark from a certified gas cylinder test station. If a gas filling station, as part of a cylinder exchange, accepts any cylinder that is not appropriately marked, they will have to either:

  • ensure the cylinder is inspected and test station-marked in accordance with the appropriate Australian standard before filling or refilling, or
  • dispose of the cylinder.

Purchasing a new or used refillable cylinder

Before purchasing a new or used refillable LP gas cylinder, ask the retailer to show you the current (not more than 10 years old), legible test mark and ensure they confirm for you that the cylinder can be legally filled in NSW.

If there is no current legible test mark, the cylinder may not be safe to fill and without the test mark cannot be legally filled in NSW.

If you decide to purchase a cylinder without a current, legible test mark, the cylinder will need to be inspected by a certified gas cylinder test station and stamped with a test mark prior to filling. The test station may charge a fee for inspection and stamping.

Top of page