Change text size:   Increase font size   Reduce font size  |   Print page:   Print this page
  |   Contact us   


The application of a clear, resin based or pigmented product in liquid form which, when applied to a surface by brush, roller or spray gun, forms a dry, adherent film. Paint may be applied for decorative or protective purposes and may be applied to any appropriate surface on any structure, fixture, fitting or apparatus. For licensing purposes, works encompassed by the term painting include, but are not necessarily limited to:

  • textured coatings applied by the abovementioned methods
  • preparation and minor repair (but not renewal or replacement) of surfaces prior to painting.


(1) Completion of CPC30611 Certificate III in Painting and Decorating


(2) Completion of any of the following qualifications:

  • CPC30608 Certificate III in Painting and Decorating
  • BCG30603 Certificate III in Painting and Decorating 
  • BCG30498 Certificate III in General Construction (Painting & Decorating) TAFE course #8063
  • Qualification 11766 Certificate III in Painting and Decorating TAFE course #2155  
  • Certificate III in Painting and Decorating, Trade TAFE course #5129.

Previous licence holders

If you have ever held a licence in the prescribed classes (Home Building Regulation 2004, clause 46, excluding subsection (1)(a)) and you apply for a new licence, your previous licence will be accepted in lieu of the current qualification requirements.

To find a Registered Training Organisation that provides the qualification listed above, refer to the information on building licensing courses.


Since 2015, stand-alone contracts for internal paintwork no longer need a licence, unless done as part of other home building work.  Please refer to the Major changes to home building laws page for more information.

Top of page