Change text size:   Increase font size   Reduce font size  |   Print page:   Print this page
  |   Contact us   

Motor repairers  

This page will assist those working in the motor vehicle repair industry. If you are unsure of your obligations you should refer to the Motor Dealers and Repairers Act 2013 (the Act), the Motor Dealers and Repairers Regulation 2014, Gas Supply Act 1996, or seek legal advice.

Do I need a tradesperson's certificate? 

You need a tradesperson’s certificate if you do repair work on motor vehicles, even if you hold a Motor Vehicle Repairer’s License. You must be certified and qualified for all classes of repair work you do. You can apply for a tradesperson’s certificate online.

Tradesperson certificate holders are required to renew their tradesperson’s certificate every 3 years. The renewal date for the first renewal will be determined by the day and calendar year in which the holder was granted their certificate.

Tradesperson’s certificates granted in 2009 up to and including 2014 will be due for renewal in 2017. For example, if a person was granted a tradesperson’s certificate on 30 June 2010, then their certificate will be due to renewal on 29 June 2017.

An application for restoration can be made only within 3 months of the expiry date. The cost of renewal will be $48 over 3 years, which covers Fair Trading’s processing costs.

To renew or restore your tradesperson's certificate view or download the Application for Renewal / Restoration of a Tradesperson's Certificate or go to the Business licensing page on the Fair Trading website.

Top of page

What happens if I don’t renew my tradesperson’s certificate on time?  

Tradespeople who fail to renew their certificate by the renewal date have 3 months to apply for the restoration of the certificate. If a tradesperson fails to restore their certificate within this period, they have to make a new application for a tradesperson’s certificate.

The cost of restoring or renewing a tradesperson’s certificate is $48. The application for a new tradesperson’s certificate is $69.

If you have an expired unrestricted tradesperson’s certificate, NSW Fair Trading will accept this as satisfying the qualification requirements for a tradesperson’s certificate in the same or equivalent class of repair work.

Former restricted, conditional, provisional and radiator repairer tradesperson’s certificates will not be accepted for new applications for a tradesperson’s certificate.

Top of page

Existing certificate holders  

Holders of tradesperson’s certificates issued under the former Motor Vehicle Repairs Act 1980 will get a tradesperson’s certificate when they renew on the same or equivalent terms as their existing certificates. This arrangement will apply to all existing tradesperson certificate holders, with a few exceptions. Tradespeople with a restricted or conditional tradesperson’s certificate or a radiator repairer tradesperson’s certificate will keep their existing certificate but will be required to renew every 3 years. NSW Fair Trading will not approve applications for new tradesperson’s certificates in these restricted classes. This allows for existing holders of these certificates to continue to work, while ensuring that restricted or conditional tradesperson’s certificates are gradually phased out. Furthermore, provisional certificates are no longer being issued. This also means that existing provisional certificates are not renewable.

Top of page

Repair classes  

There are 12 classes of repair work for tradespeople:

  • automotive electrician
  • body maker
  • compressed natural gas mechanic
  • liquefied natural gas mechanic
  • liquefied petroleum gas mechanic
  • motorcycle mechanic
  • motor mechanic
  • panel beater
  • trailer and caravan mechanic
  • transmission specialist
  • underbody work
  • vehicle painter.

Top of page

Minimum qualification requirements  

New applicants for a tradesperson’s certificate must have a prescribed Certificate Level III qualification or relevant Higher Education Qualification for the relevant class of repair work. The Certificate Level III qualifications are based on units of competency from the nationally accredited training packages. These are endorsed by the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) and delivered by Registered Training Organisations (RTOs). These qualifications are required as they represent what is recognised nationally as the standard which is required to complete repair work with the necessary level of skill and knowledge.

Top of page

Minor works or repairs exemption  

Clause 35 of the Regulation has been broadened to provide that minor works or repairs that do not affect the mechanical operation or structure of a vehicle or any vehicle safety features (such as impact sensors and airbags) are not repair work. Accordingly, any work which meets these requirements does not need to be carried out by a person that holds a tradesperson’s certificate. Further, a person who only carries on the business of this type of work does not need to hold a motor vehicle repairers licence.  

The Accessories and minor repairs guidelines provides a non-exhaustive list of the kinds of work that is not repair work.

Top of page

Licensing requirements for repair work on heavy vehicles  

Repairers of motor vehicles with a mass over 4.5 tonnes (i.e. those covered by the Heavy Vehicle National Law) are regulated under the Motor Dealers and Repairers Act 2013 and Motor Dealers and Repairers Regulation 2014. This means that a valid tradesperson’s certificate is required to perform repair work on these motor vehicles.