Change text size:   Increase font size   Reduce font size  |   Print page:   Print this page
  |   Contact us   

Home building licence check 

Promotiona imageYou should always check your tradesperson is licensed before you hire.

In NSW licensing protects you in the following ways:

  • you deal with a legitimate business
  • the tradesperson has the right qualifications for the job
  • you enjoy better consumer protection
  • you help to keep the shonks out.

A tradesperson must be licenced for:

  • residential building work valued at more than $5,000 in labour and materials 
  • ALL specialist work regardless of its cost. This includes electrical wiring,
    plumbing, draining and gasfitting work and air conditioning and refrigeration work (except plug-in appliances).

The licence check will show you lots of background information about your choice of tradie, both current and historical.

Image of a green tick Where an aspect of the licence is marked with a green tick, this means it is current and a start date will advise you when it was added to the licence record.

Image of a grey cross Where an aspect of the licence is marked with a grey cross, this means that it is no longer current. You will see a start date and an end date next to any condition that has this grey cross.

 Do a licence check

Watch our YouTube video - Licensed and Loving it. This is a vox pop with NSW tradespeople talking about the value of their licence and the importance of consumers doing a licence check here at our website.  

To find out about the different types of home building licences in NSW, visit our Licence classes and qualifications page.

Owner Builder Permit check

The Owner Builder Permit check will show you if a property had an owner builder permit issued for residential building work in the last 10 years.

 Do an owner builder permit check

Don’t forget to read about your rights and responsibilities when you do home building and renovation work, including advice on selecting a tradesperson or builder, contracts, home building compensation fund and resolving home building disputes.