Email link to this pagePrint this pageReduce font sizeIncrease font size


National business names registration service 

From 28 May 2012 a new online national business names registration service has replaced the state and territory services. Fair Trading no longer administers business names in NSW. The new national service is managed and administered by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC). For more information on how to register, renew or to search for a business name, visit ASIC’s website or call ASIC on 1300 300 630.

Two builders looking at plans on building site This section of the Fair Trading website is for residential builders, tradespeople, specialists and motor vehicle repairers and insurers in NSW.

Use the links in the grey left hand panel to browse to the topic that interests you.

Residential building work

Residential building work means any work involved in the:

  • construction of a dwelling
  • making of alterations or additions to a dwelling
  • repairing, renovation, decoration or protective treatment of a dwelling.

This includes specialist work done in connection with a dwelling. 'Dwelling' includes garages, swimming pools and other prescribed structures constructed for use in conjunction with a dwelling.

Specialist building work

Specialist building work means:

  • plumbing work
  • gas fitting work
  • electrical wiring work
  • installation or maintenance of certain refrigeration systems
  • air-conditioning work.

Go to top of page iconTop of page

Email link to this pagePrint this pageReduce font sizeIncrease font size