The Motor Dealers and Repairers Amendment (Miscellaneous) Regulation 2017 (the Amending Regulation) began on 29 September 2017.
The Amending Regulation contains a number of practical changes designed to improve consumer outcomes and reduce the administrative burden, and increase productivity in the motor repair industry. The amendments include:
- expanding on tasks that are not classified as repair work to include ‘low risk, low scope’ work that does not alter the performance handling or safety of the vehicle
- clarifying that limitation periods for dealer guarantees do not include any period in which the dealer has possession or control of the vehicle to assess defects or carry out repairs
- ensuring that a motor vehicle recycler required to maintain a Motor Vehicle Recycler’s Register (Whole Vehicle) (Form 3A) for the acquisition or disposal of a whole motor vehicle
- improving the design of forms in Schedule 2
- allowing for several offences under the Motor Dealers and Repairers Act 2013 (the Act) to be dealt with by issuing penalty notice.
You can keep up-to-date by subscribing to <Auto Torque>, our e-newsletter for the motor vehicle industry.