Accountants and tax agents

Conduct and fees

There are a number of organisations that provide advice and assistance for complaints against accountants and tax agents.  Below is a summary of these organisations, their contact details and a brief outline of their services.

Certified Practising Accountants Australia (CPA Australia)

CPA Australia is a not-for-profit organisation that leads and shapes the debate on issues affecting professional accountants and the wider business environment. A CPA is an accountant with a special qualification that must follow a strict code of conduct set by CPA Australia.

Level 3, Quay West Building, 111 Harrington Street, Sydney 2000
Telephone: (02) 9375 6200
Facsimile: (02) 9375 6299

Tax Practitioners Board

The Tax Practitioners Board provides consumer protection to clients of tax practitioner services through a national, independent regulatory.  The Board performs a variety of statutory functions, including:

  • administering the system for the registration of tax agents and BAS agents
  • determining applications for registration
  • investigating conduct that may breach the Tax Agent Services Act 2009, including non-compliance with the Code of Professional Conduct and breaches of the civil penalty provisions
  • imposing administrative sanctions for non-compliance with the Code of Professional Conduct
  • issuing guidelines on relevant matters.

PO Box 9825, Penrith NSW 2740
Telephone: 1300 362 829

Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)

ACCA is a global professional accountancy body that helps achieve high accounting and business standards in Australia. The ACCA has formal procedures in place for complaints against their members.

ACCA Australia and New Zealand
Suite 3, Level 16, 60 Carrington Street, Sydney NSW 2000
Telephone: (02) 8245 0222
Facsimile: (02) 8245 0211

Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand

Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand is a professional body representing chartered accountants within Australia and New Zealand. Members of the Institute follow a professional code of ethics.

33 Erskine St (GPO Box 3921) Sydney 2001
Telephone: 1300 137 322
Facsimile: (02) 9262 4841

Institute of Public Accountants (IPA)

IPA is a professional accounting body representing the interests of members and other accountants in general. IPA has an investigation and disciplinary process to handle complaints concerning a member’s failure to follow the IPA’s Constitution and By-laws.

Level 6, 555 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
GPO Box 1637, Melbourne VIC 3001
Telephone: (03) 8665 3100
Fax: (03) 8665 3130

Next Unclaimed money