Electricity and gas supply dispute resolution

If you’re having a problem with the supplier of your electricity and gas, contact the company first to discuss your options. Tell them what your problem is, ask if they can help and what they intend to do to resolve the issue. Keep records of your conversation including the name of the person you spoke to, the date and time of the call, and what you talked about. If that staff member cannot help you, ask to speak to their supervisor or a senior staff member.

If the matter is complicated and not urgent, you could write an email or letter to the person in charge of dealing with your complaint. You should be able to find this out from the company’s website or by calling them and asking who to write to.

If the problem is not fixed or you are not satisfied with the company’s response, you can make a complaint to the Energy and Water Ombudsman NSW (EWON). EWON is the government approved dispute resolution scheme for NSW electricity, gas  and some water customers.

EWON’s service is free of charge and available to consumers and small business customers. They can assist with:

  • disputed accounts, high bills and issues related to estimated bills
  • debts and arrears
  • disconnection or restriction of supply
  • actions of a supplier that affect your property
  • reliability of supply
  • quality of supply (including claims for compensation)
  • connection or transfer issues
  • negotiated contracts
  • marketing practices
  • poor customer service.

Contact EWON on 1800 246 545 or on www.ewon.com.au

Prev Car rental
Next Electricity network connections