General insurance - including motor vehicle, household, travel, sickness

General insurance includes home building, home contents, motor vehicle,  travel, sickness and accident,  pleasure craft, consumer credit, valuables and personal property,  medical indemnity insurance – in other words most domestic insurance.

If you experience difficulties with your insurance company, first make sure that you have given them a reasonable chance to resolve your dispute, by using your insurer’s Internal Dispute Resolution (IDR) process. The General Insurance Code of Practice requires that all insurers have an IDR process in place.

If you’re still experiencing problems, contact the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) which is a national Service that assists in resolving disputes between consumers and insurers or other financial service providers that are members of the Service. The Service also helps resolve disputes between uninsured drivers and another person's insurance company in relation to motor vehicle property about any general insurance matters.

Members include general insurance companies and underwriting agents. The AFCA can help customers with a dispute with a member company and with enquiries about any general insurance matter. A list of members is available from the website.

The Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) can help with some residential strata title policies, small policies and third-party motor vehicle disputes if you are uninsured (and the property damage is under $3000). The AFCA does not have jurisdiction over workers compensation, compulsory third-party or home owners warranty matters.

Decisions of the AFCA are not binding on the consumer, who may take legal or other steps to resolve the dispute.

Contact the Australian Financial Complaints Authority for more information.

Postal address: GPO Box 3, Melbourne Victoria 3001
Telephone: 1800 931 678

To avoid being underinsured in a worst-case scenario, check your cover each year when you renew or change your insurance.

Life insurance/superannuation

For all enquiries contact the Australian Prudential Regulatory Authority (APRA).

Postal address: GPO Box 9836, Sydney NSW 2001
Telephone:  1300 558 849

Compulsory third party insurance - green slips

The State Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA) regulates the NSW compulsory third party scheme. This scheme provides compulsory third party (CTP or Green Slip) personal injury insurance through licensed insurers for motor vehicles registered in NSW. Contact them for insurance claims and disputes.

Postal address: Level 6, McKell Building, 2-24 Rawson Place, Sydney NSW 2000
Telephone: 1300 656 919 (8:30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday)

Go to the insurance motor vehicles page for more information.

Third party claims - where you are claiming against another party’s insurer

The Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) can determine some disputes between third parties if the amount is $5,000 or less and must be in relation to motor vehicle property damage. There is no fee for this service.

Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA)
Postal address: GPO Box 3, Melbourne VIC 3001
Telephone: 1800 931 678 (9am to 5pm from Monday to Friday)

Medicare Australia

For Medicare enquiries, refer to Medicare benefits and pharmaceutical benefits under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme.

Postal address: GPO Box 9822, In your Capital city
Telephone: 13 20 11

Private health insurance

The Private Health Insurance Ombudsman is independent of the private health funds, private and public hospitals and the government and has been set up to deal with enquiries and complaints about any aspect of private health insurance.  The Ombudsman’s services are available free of charge to all health fund members, people wanting information about private health insurance, hospitals, doctors and some dentists, health funds or people acting as their agents. Contact the Private Health Insurance Ombudsman for more information.

Telephone: 1300 737 299 / 1300 362 072
Postal address: Suite 2 Level 16, 580 George Street, Sydney NSW 2000

If the matter remains unresolved, make a claim with the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

Travel insurance

If you need to claim on your travel insurance, you should check your travel insurance policy or speak to your insurer to determine what you can claim. If you’re unable to identify your insurer, you can contact the General Insurance Enquiries and Complaints Scheme. If you have booked travel through a travel agent, you may be eligible to make a claim through the Travel Compensation Fund (TCF).

Contact the TCF for more information.

Postal address: Level 3, 15 Castlereagh Street, Sydney NSW 2000
Telephone: 1300 658 165 or (02) 8227 3500

If the matter remains unresolved, consumers may make a claim with the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT)

Workers compensation

SafeWork NSW manages the New South Wales’ workplace safety, injury management and workers compensation systems. They provide information and assistance on occupational health and safety, workers compensation and injury prevention and management. For more information, contact SafeWork NSW.

SafeWork NSW
Postal address: Locked Bag 2906, Lisarow, NSW 2252
Telephone: 13 10 50

Prev Health
Next Legal & conveyancing