Cancelling a service

In many circumstances you can cancel a service.

This page includes information on:

How to cancel a service

If you have a problem with a service, take the following steps:

  1. Contact the service provider verbally or in writing to explain the problem. If the provider cannot fix the service in a reasonable time, state that you want to cancel it.
  2. If relevant, also ask the service provider to compensate you for any damages or losses caused by the problem.
  3. If you’ve paid for the service and it has already started or been delivered, negotiate a refund to cover the services that failed and any advance payments.
  4. Show proof of purchase with a receipt or bank statement.

You have the right to cancel a service, when it is:

  • provided with an unacceptable level of care and skill
  • unfit for the purpose you asked for
  • not delivered within a reasonable time when there is no agreed end date.

"Suppliers should give any refunds in the same form as your original payment. You can also ask for compensation for damages or loss caused by the problem."

Cancelling when part of a bundle / package

Businesses often sell related goods and services together as a package. For example, phone network providers commonly offer bundled mobile phone and service contracts.

Sometimes a problem develops with one part of the package - the product or service.

  • If you return goods due to a major problem, you have the right to cancel any services that they were provided with.
  • If you cancel a contract for unsatisfactory services, you must return any goods connected with the service - even if there is no problem with the goods.
  • If you paid money for the goods, the business must give you a refund.

It’s your responsibility to return the goods, unless this would involve a significant cost.

Services you cannot cancel

You must pay for services you’ve received that worked as expected.

You cannot cancel a service or get a refund if the problem was outside the control of the provider or if you:

  • changed your mind
  • insisted on having a service provided in a particular way, against the provider’s advice
  • failed to clearly explain your needs to the provider.

Have a problem?

  1. Contact the business in the first instance and explain the problem. We have tips and sample letters to help you take the first step.
  2. If you’re unable to resolve the matter with the business, you contact us on 13 32 20, or make a complaint online.

Further information

Contact us

Can’t find what you’re looking for? Send a general enquiry.

Who enforces Australian Consumer Law?

The following agencies enforce provisions relating to consumer goods and services:

The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) is responsible for financial products and services.

Prev Warranties
Next Unsolicited consumer agreements