Dealing with financial stress

If you’re having trouble meeting any repayments or paying your bills, you should do everything you can to prevent your car, home or household goods from being repossessed. Contact your lender or creditors straight away and try to negotiate a new arrangement to make your repayments. You should never ignore the problem.

If your financial problems are temporary because of illness, unemployment or relationship breakdown, you can apply to have your payments suspended or varied due to personal hardship. Go to the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) website MoneySmart for more information on credit and debt problems, personal hardship and where to get help.

Need more information?

  • Alternatives to high-cost credit
    Information on safe credit options for people on low incomes or in financial difficulty.
  • No Interest Loans Scheme (NILS)
    Community-managed small loans with no interest or fees for low-income earners.
  • Centrelink
    Information on a range of services for retrenched or redundant workers.
  • Financial Rights Legal Centre
    Provides assistance and advice on credit and debt issues. Tel: 1800 007 007
  • Financial Counsellor's Association of NSW
    Find your nearest independent financial counsellor who can provide free, confidential advice on financial matters.
  • Legal Aid
    Provides free consultation where they can help with your credit/debt problems, and determine if you qualify for further assistance. Also has information on mortgage stress. Tel: 1300 888 529
  • MoneySmart
    This ASIC website is where you can do a simple Mortgage Health Check. MoneySmart can also help you make smart choices about money and provides free, independent and unbiased information, tools and motivation.
Next Leasing or renting goods