Submission cover sheet
- Name of organisation or individual making this submission
Questions on possible options
- What kind of plans should be signed off and declared by a statutory declaration?
- Should a statutory declaration accompany all variations to plans or only major variations?
Major variations (these need to be defined)
- How should plans be provided to, or accessed by, the Building Commissioner?
- In what circumstances would it be difficult to document performance solutions and their compliance with the BCA?
when the government itself allows the importation of building materials that do not comply, then this would present difficulties- a system similar to the Heart Foundation Tick should accompany all building products that can be used in the building industry as they were independently tested to meet Australian Standards
- What would the process for declaring that a building complies with its plans look like?
as built drawings signed off by independent authorities not just the certifier
- What kind of role should builders play in declaring final building work?
be part of the signing off process
- Which builders involved in building work should be responsible for signing off on buildings?
make each and every trade accountable not just the head builder
- Are existing licensing regimes appropriate to be accepted as registration for some builders and building designers, such as architects, for the new scheme?
- What should be the minimum requirements for a registration scheme?
qualification and experience as well as CPD points to ensure they are kept up to date with changes
- What form of insurance should be mandatory for ‘building designers’? Why?
public liability- they designed it, should be responsible if incorrectly designed
- What kinds of minimum requirements should be prescribed for the insurance policy (for example, value, length of cover, etc.)?
length of cover and detailed maintenance requirements by owners
- What skills should be mandatory for ‘building designers’?
knowledge of Australian Standards
- Which categories of building practitioners should owe a duty of care?
- What should be the scope of the duty of care? Should it apply to all or certain types of work? If so, which work?
Duty of care should apply to all work
- What types of consumers should be owed a duty of care?