Building Stronger Foundations

Submission cover sheet

  • Name of organisation or individual making this submission

    Ripp Stewart

  • Authorised delegate/contact person

    Ripp Stewart

  • Position


  • Organisation

    Modern Certification Pty Ltd

Questions on possible options

  1. What kind of plans should be signed off and declared by a statutory declaration?

    All plans and specifications used in the construction of a building (architectural, structural, civil, hydraulic etc.)

  2. Should a statutory declaration accompany all variations to plans or only major variations?

    Wherever a modification is required to either a DA or CDC, a statutory declaration should be provided.

  3. How should plans be provided to, or accessed by, the Building Commissioner?


  4. In what circumstances would it be difficult to document performance solutions and their compliance with the BCA?


  5. What would the process for declaring that a building complies with its plans look like?

    A statement/certificate should be provided with the certificates/documents that are submitted with an application for occupation certificate.

  6. What kind of role should builders play in declaring final building work?

    A significant role, given they are tasked with building in accordance with the approved plans and specifications. A certifier is only onsite for a very short period of time during the construction of a building. A builder is generally onsite everyday and at least 90% of the time.

  7. Which builders involved in building work should be responsible for signing off on buildings?

    The head contractor should provide the final sign-off. This will ensure they have to keep a closer eye over their trades they sub contract. Rather than leaving it to the certifier to inspect the work and raise non-compliances (for example in residential construction some builders dont even check waterproofing because they know the certifier will inspect).

  8. Are existing licensing regimes appropriate to be accepted as registration for some builders and building designers, such as architects, for the new scheme?

    Unsure - require further information.

  9. What should be the minimum requirements for a registration scheme?

    All practitioners should be registered/accredited and holding statutory insurance.

  10. What form of insurance should be mandatory for ‘building designers’? Why?

    Professional Indemnity

  11. What kinds of minimum requirements should be prescribed for the insurance policy (for example, value, length of cover, etc.)?

    Minimum value should be prescribed and required for accreditation (similar scheme to that for an accredited certifier).

  12. What skills should be mandatory for ‘building designers’?

    At minimum a tafe course.

  13. Which categories of building practitioners should owe a duty of care?

    All and everyone involved in the design and construction of a building.

  14. What should be the scope of the duty of care? Should it apply to all or certain types of work? If so, which work?

    The duty of care should apply to all activities required to construct a building. If you begin to exclude certain trades/activities it will create more finger pointing.

  15. What types of consumers should be owed a duty of care?


At our discretion we may remove parts of submissions because of length, content, appropriateness or confidentiality (privacy) reasons.