Building Stronger Foundations

Submission cover sheet

  • Name of organisation or individual making this submission

    Debbie Reid

  • Authorised delegate/contact person

    Debbie Reid

  • Position

    Home owner

  • Organisation

Questions on possible options

  1. What kind of plans should be signed off and declared by a statutory declaration?

    All new building plans

  2. Should a statutory declaration accompany all variations to plans or only major variations?

    Yes all variations

  3. How should plans be provided to, or accessed by, the Building Commissioner?

    All builders should be made to submit their plans to the Building Commisioner. All plans should be assessed and checked for accuracy and compliance with Australian Building Codes

  4. In what circumstances would it be difficult to document performance solutions and their compliance with the BCA?

    There should be no difficulty. Builders need to be made accountable for their building practices.

  5. What would the process for declaring that a building complies with its plans look like?

    A suitable inspection by an independent Govt Building inspector that can, after inspection release a certificate that ensures and states that the building complies with correct Building codes and practices in Australia.

  6. What kind of role should builders play in declaring final building work?

    All builders need to be made accountable and show transparency in their building works. All licences should be reviewed each year. All inspections of building works should be certified and submitted to the Commissioner.

  7. Which builders involved in building work should be responsible for signing off on buildings?

    The Director of the Building Company.

  8. Are existing licensing regimes appropriate to be accepted as registration for some builders and building designers, such as architects, for the new scheme?


  9. What should be the minimum requirements for a registration scheme?

    The director of a building company should be qualified and have extensive knowledge in all areas of construction if they are selling a new home build to a customer. Not just one qualification ie carpenter who can purchase a franchise and then sell and construct a new home to a customer.

  10. What form of insurance should be mandatory for ‘building designers’? Why?

    Comprehensive insurance should apply to ensure that the building design will comply with all codes and standards in Australia. Why, so that in the event the building is found to have major faults and defects the consumer is protected and can seek suitable compensation easily.

  11. What kinds of minimum requirements should be prescribed for the insurance policy (for example, value, length of cover, etc.)?

    It should cover the build for ten to fifteen years and the property value to be aligned and adjusted when increases in property values occur.

  12. What skills should be mandatory for ‘building designers’?

    Engineering skills and Qualifications.

  13. Which categories of building practitioners should owe a duty of care?

    All building practitioners should owe a duty of care.

  14. What should be the scope of the duty of care? Should it apply to all or certain types of work? If so, which work?

    The duty of care should cover all types of building works.

  15. What types of consumers should be owed a duty of care?

    Consumers such as myself. I purchased a new home from ASG Builders. The Franchise owner and director is Tony Gordon for Hotondo Homes Mirador NSW 2548. It has major structural faults and defects and extreme water leaks. All consumers who build with a builder should be owed a duty of care.

At our discretion we may remove parts of submissions because of length, content, appropriateness or confidentiality (privacy) reasons.