Building Stronger Foundations

Submission cover sheet

  • Name of organisation or individual making this submission

    Marie Curnick

  • Authorised delegate/contact person

    Marie Curnick

  • Position

  • Organisation


Questions on possible options

  1. What kind of plans should be signed off and declared by a statutory declaration?

    All building plans and design plans

  2. Should a statutory declaration accompany all variations to plans or only major variations?

    All variations

  3. How should plans be provided to, or accessed by, the Building Commissioner?

    Most importantly there must be no more self-certification! That is the crux of the problems. The Building Commissioner must set up an independent body of licensed certifiers for building structure, plumbing works, electrical works etc. as well as licensing builders, contractors and sub contractors themselves. If liability for such certification is ignored the appalling development and building practices in NSW since the Olympics will continue.

  4. In what circumstances would it be difficult to document performance solutions and their compliance with the BCA?

    The CSIRO could be engaged to review the BCA and develop protocols for performance solutions where necessary. The developer/builder should be liable for the costs depending on the age of the building. The building I live in was forced to use a performance solution for extensive fire safety defects. The solution was developed by the CSIRO but had to be paid for by the owners (which was grossly unfair for a 4 year old building completed in 1999). It had been a self-certification job!

  5. What would the process for declaring that a building complies with its plans look like?

    The developer/builder and all contractors must sign a legally binding set of documents confirming in detail the relevant sections of the Plans.

  6. What kind of role should builders play in declaring final building work?

    see above

  7. Which builders involved in building work should be responsible for signing off on buildings?

    The developer, primary builder and all builders responsible for each of the various sections of the Plans

  8. Are existing licensing regimes appropriate to be accepted as registration for some builders and building designers, such as architects, for the new scheme?

    No. Much more oversight and diligence is required by licensing authorities.

  9. What should be the minimum requirements for a registration scheme?

    detailed, substantiated qualifications from an appropriate legalised body such as a university, a TAFE or certified technical organisation

  10. What form of insurance should be mandatory for ‘building designers’? Why?

    All personnel involved in building and construction should hold insurance for building errors, damage, accidents etc. This is to protect workers and owners

  11. What kinds of minimum requirements should be prescribed for the insurance policy (for example, value, length of cover, etc.)?

    as per usual policies

  12. What skills should be mandatory for ‘building designers’?

    appropriate qualifications from a tertiary institution.

  13. Which categories of building practitioners should owe a duty of care?

    All categories of builders/contractors in charge of a process

  14. What should be the scope of the duty of care? Should it apply to all or certain types of work? If so, which work?

    All work that impacts on people directly or indirectly

  15. What types of consumers should be owed a duty of care?

    All consumers who purchase an item or are in the process of buying

At our discretion we may remove parts of submissions because of length, content, appropriateness or confidentiality (privacy) reasons.