Building Stronger Foundations

Submission cover sheet

  • Name of organisation or individual making this submission

    Confidentiality requested

Questions on possible options

  1. What kind of plans should be signed off and declared by a statutory declaration?

    All Initial plans should be signed off and declared by a statutory declaration no matter how small the building or project is.

  2. Should a statutory declaration accompany all variations to plans or only major variations?

    Only Major variations.

  3. How should plans be provided to, or accessed by, the Building Commissioner?

    There should be a system in place where the building commissioner can look at any plans if needed ie by spot checks or by someone making a query about a particular plan that they want reviewed. This could be done on line.

  4. In what circumstances would it be difficult to document performance solutions and their compliance with the BCA?

  5. What would the process for declaring that a building complies with its plans look like?

    An On Line system where any potential buyer can review previous plans to ensure they have complied and been signed off. They can also see who the builder was.

  6. What kind of role should builders play in declaring final building work?

    Not only the builder but the developer should have full accountability in declaring that the building has complied. The general public (potential buyer) like me, in most cases do not know who the builder is they only deal with the developer. I would like to discuss this issue with someone in more detail as I am dealing with a current issue that falls into this category that i believe needs to be looked at. This is major development happening now at the Rocks in the city of Sydney.

  7. Which builders involved in building work should be responsible for signing off on buildings?

    Any builder that is involved should be responsible for signing of their part of the project. The overall accountability should rest with the developer.

  8. Are existing licensing regimes appropriate to be accepted as registration for some builders and building designers, such as architects, for the new scheme?

  9. What should be the minimum requirements for a registration scheme?

  10. What form of insurance should be mandatory for ‘building designers’? Why?

  11. What kinds of minimum requirements should be prescribed for the insurance policy (for example, value, length of cover, etc.)?

    The insurance policy should cover the total value of the project if it needs to be knocked down due to poor workmanship and rebuilt. The developer and the builder should be responsible for taking out this insurance. The current cases of the Opal Tower and the Mascot Towers are a prime example. The only way for the owners of these apartments to get any value back on their properties would be to rebuild them. Otherwise no one will ever have confidence in buying in these building again. I am not an owner or have an association with anyone involved in these 2 buildings. As per my previous comments I would like to discuss a potential similar problem that may occur in a building that I have purchased an apartment where I have no confidence in the developer and the builder is that same builder that built the Opal tower in Homebush. I can be contacted on my mobile at anytime - 0412 258 650.

  12. What skills should be mandatory for ‘building designers’?

    They should be fully qualified and should be made to produce evidence of work they have previously done before being allowed on major developments. Similar to any work you dont start at the top, you work you way up eg someone with very little design experience should not be allowed to work on a major project until they gain the necessary experience.

  13. Which categories of building practitioners should owe a duty of care?

    The builder and the Developer - As I have previously stated the buyer in major projects buys from the developer and in many cases doesnt know who the builder is. If I go to buy a product from Kmart and there is a problem I return to them for a replacement or refund I dont go back to the manufacturer. This should be the same in the building industry. Again I would like to discuss my views on this in detail, as I believe now is the time to make changes that protect the buyer.

  14. What should be the scope of the duty of care? Should it apply to all or certain types of work? If so, which work?

    All work, the buyer pays in full for a quality product. No one advertises that you buy an apartment for example and says their might be some faults. Therefore any faults, doesnt matter how minor should be the responsibility of the developer as they are the sellers of the product. How they then get the builder to fix it is their responsibility. Again I have strong views on this that I would like to discuss.

  15. What types of consumers should be owed a duty of care?

    Any consumer that pays - as per my previous comments. I have been advised to fill in my concerns by Susan Lee and Sam Romaniuk from Placement Management NSW, Please contact me to discuss in more detail. My number again is 0412 258 650. I look forward to being contacted.

At our discretion we may remove parts of submissions because of length, content, appropriateness or confidentiality (privacy) reasons.