Building Stronger Foundations

Submission cover sheet

  • Name of organisation or individual making this submission

    Confidentiality requested

Questions on possible options

  1. What kind of plans should be signed off and declared by a statutory declaration?

    Plans for any structure that may cause risk to safety or have a detrimental effect on community should be signed off, These would include, buildings of any type, walls greater than 900 mm (retaining or other wise) or any structure that may have an effect on access.

  2. Should a statutory declaration accompany all variations to plans or only major variations?

    Salutatory declaration should accompany all variations to plans, the best person to determine the effect of a change would be the designer. I could see a situation where a change is made for architectural of convenience, if the designer is unaware then assumptions that may have been made may now be void resulting in the possibility of failure.

  3. How should plans be provided to, or accessed by, the Building Commissioner?

    Then building Commissioner should have access to all plans, while it would be impractical for the Building commissioner to review all, an independent data base would provide useful to access compliance of plans and approval process if issues arise later.

  4. In what circumstances would it be difficult to document performance solutions and their compliance with the BCA?

    If a performance solution is being provided then it would be expected that it would be fully documented and demonstration on how the requirements of the BCA are being addressed. So there would be very few if any circumstances where documented performance solutions should not be presented. A performance solution should be reviewed hence should be documented.

  5. What would the process for declaring that a building complies with its plans look like?

    The process for declaring a building complies should be carried out by a person capable of making this declaration i.e. Mechanical engineers/competent mechanical contractors should declare compliance for the Mechanical components, Similarly for fire the adequately qualified person.

  6. What kind of role should builders play in declaring final building work?

    The builder should be responsible for ensuring that all parts of the building have compliance certificates and that those whom are making the declarations have adequate qualifications and experience. The Main Building Contractor should be responsible to ensure all components that are built meet the compliance regulations.

  7. Which builders involved in building work should be responsible for signing off on buildings?

    The principle contractor should be responsible for signing off on the building as being compliant with the regulations and in accordance with the design Plans. It should be recognised that buildings and regulations are vast and with a number of principle contractors are essentially contract managers and thus do not have the required knowledge and expertise to sign off on various components. So while the principle contractor has ultimate sign off responsibility, this sigh off would require that the various sub contractors get sign off from competent practitioners in that field.

  8. Are existing licensing regimes appropriate to be accepted as registration for some builders and building designers, such as architects, for the new scheme?

    Yes and No, while electrician and plumbers are licensed is there means to registered if continued faulty work is reported. For engineers there is no requirement to be registered, hence there is no avenue for determining adequate knowledge and experience to carry out works.

  9. What should be the minimum requirements for a registration scheme?

    The minimum requirement for registration is to be legislated by the government, current systems for engineering certification is voluntary (National Engineering Register), and there is mandated requirement for this registration. Any scheme should be partnered with the relevant industry association as they would be able to set the standards, and implement systems for de-registration for non compliance.

  10. What form of insurance should be mandatory for ‘building designers’? Why?

    Building designers should hold the appropriate Professional Indemnity Insurance

  11. What kinds of minimum requirements should be prescribed for the insurance policy (for example, value, length of cover, etc.)?

  12. What skills should be mandatory for ‘building designers’?

    A reverent recognised degree in the field of design by the appropriate association. Minimum of 5 years demonstrated experience in the field recognition by industry association that the above requirements are met ongoing requirement for professional development training

  13. Which categories of building practitioners should owe a duty of care?

    All categories of building practitioners should owe a duty of care and these should include the developers and the principle contractors

  14. What should be the scope of the duty of care? Should it apply to all or certain types of work? If so, which work?

    Design, construction of building based on the defined design life

  15. What types of consumers should be owed a duty of care?

    It would be considered that the title holders are owe a duty of care, it is beyond their experience to understand the requirements of compliance with the building codes. Hence the Builders, designers and all associated with the design and construction should ensure that they have en-devoured to meet all regulatory requirements

At our discretion we may remove parts of submissions because of length, content, appropriateness or confidentiality (privacy) reasons.