Consultation period: 02/10/2019 4:00 pm to 16/10/2019 5:00 pm
Release of the draft Design and Building Practitioners Bill 2019 for public consultation
- Introducing the concept of ‘regulated designs’, which include designs for a building element and performance solutions for prescribed classes of building work or a building element;
- Requiring that design practitioners who prepare regulated designs issue a compliance declaration to declare that the designs comply with the Building Code of Australia;
- Requiring that building practitioners obtain, rely upon and build in accordance with declared designs, and issue a compliance declaration to declare they have complied with the Building Code of Australia;
- Requiring that any variations to declared designs are reprepared and declared by a design practitioner if they are in a building element or performance solution, or in any other case, documented by the building practitioner;
- Introducing the optional role of a ‘principal design practitioner’;
- Requiring any design, principal design or building practitioner who intends on making a compliance declaration to be registered under a new registration scheme set out under the draft Bill; and
- Clarifying the common law to ensure that a duty of care is owed for construction work to certain categories of ‘owner’.
Parts of the reform will be prescribed and finalised by the supporting regulation, once developed. When the Act and regulation commence, it is intended that the reforms will apply to certain categories of regulated designs and to multi-unit and multi-storey residential apartment buildings, which will be set out in the regulation. Other classes of buildings are intended to be included in the new scheme in regulation over time.
Now that the consultation period has closed, feedback will be analysed and the draft Bill will be further amended, where appropriate.
The NSW Government is continuing with its commitment to introduce a final Bill into Parliament by the end of the year, with further work to develop and consult on the regulation in 2020.
April 2018 - The Building Confidence Report (the Report) was released
February 2019 - The NSW Government released its response to the Report
June 2019 - The Government opened a public consultation on the Building Stronger Foundations discussion paper
July 2019 - The Building Stronger Foundations public consultation closed
August 2019 - The Government appoints David Chandler OAM as Building Commissioner
October 2019 - The Government ran this public consultation seeking feedback on the draft Design and Building Practitioners Bill
During this consultation we received 33 submissions of which 3 were confidential. The remaining 30 submissions have been made publicly available with private information redacted where necessary.
All the submissions made during the consultation have been read and considered. All publishable submissions can now be found below.