Development consent and owner-builder permits

A 'development consent' is either a complying development certificate (CDC) approval or a development application (DA) approval. A CDC is issued by a private certifier or council. A DA can only be issued by a council.

You do not need an owner-builder permit to obtain your development consent. You will need an owner-builder permit before you appoint a Principal Certifying Authority and before you commence building work.

Before lodging your owner-builder application, you must have:

  • completed the owner-builder self-assessment tool
  • completed and signed the appropriate owner-builder permit application form – form A, form B or form C
  • attached a copy of the approved development consent (not an application number)
  • provided evidence of ownership or a lease registered with Land and Property Information
  • attached evidence of a current general construction induction training card (within the meaning of the Work Health and Safety Regulation 2011)
  • attached evidence that you have completed the approved owner-builder course or satisfy the approved equivalent qualifications, if construction work exceeds $20,000
  • the required proof of identity requirements.

You must provide the above with the application.

For detailed legislative information, see clause 136C of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000 and section 29 of the Home Building Act 1989.

Prev Contracts for owner-builders
Next Owner-builder approved education requirement