Owner-builder approved education requirement

If your home renovation work is valued over $10,000, you need an owner–builder permit. If the work is valued at more than $20,000, you will also need to complete certain units of competency or have the approved equivalent qualifications and experience.

If the work does require an owner-builder permit, you must hold a current general construction induction training card, generally referred to as a White Card.

Owner-Builder Education Requirement

The owner-builder education requirement consists of the following units of competency:

  • CPCCWHS2001 Apply WHS requirements, policies and procedures in the construction industry or CPCCOHS2001A Apply OHS, requirements, policies and procedures in the construction industry
  • CPCCCM2001 or CPCCCM2001A Read and interpret plans and specifications
  • CPCCCM1011A Undertake basic estimation and costing
  • CPCCCM1013 or CPCCCM1013A Plan and organise work
  • CPCCCM1014 or CPCCCM1014A Conduct workplace communication

Please note that the 91509NSW Course in Owner-Builder Compliance was discontinued on 15 July 2015. After this date, applicants for the owner builder permit will be able to provide a Statement of Attainment for the 91509NSW course permit up until 15 July 2020, or a Statement of Attainment for the 5 units of competency.

The ‘Education course for issue of owner-builder permit’ Instrument under section 31 of the Home Building Act 1999 is currently being updated but the new qualification will be accepted until this occurs.

Lodging a permit application

After completing the units of competency, you can lodge your permit application, together with relevant documentation and fee, online or at your nearest Service NSW centre.

An online application can take up to two business days to process and you’ll be notified via email.

If you apply at a Service NSW centre and your application is successful, your permit can be issued while you wait.

Visit the becoming an owner builder page for more information on permits.

Cost and duration

The price and delivery options vary for each training provider.

Owner builder education providers

Pick an organisation that can deliver the five units of competency. Before enrolling in any training, you should ensure the provider is a Registered Training Organisation. Visit the training.gov.au website to check the RTO status of a training provider.

Current general construction induction training card

Contact SafeWork NSW to apply for a general construction induction card. This is a mandatory requirement for all owner-builder permit applications.

Prev Development consent and owner-builder permits
Next Owner-builder equivalent accreditation