For an owner-builder permit for building work valued over $20,000, you will need to meet additional approved education requirements.
The following accreditations meet the education requirements for an owner-builder in NSW:
- Currently hold or have ever held any of the approved qualifications for a general building work licence or qualified supervisor certificate.
- Currently hold or have ever held a NSW general building work contractor licence that is not limited in the scope of work.
- Currently hold or have ever held a NSW trade class of building licence or certificate (for proposed work in that trade only).
- Currently hold or have ever held a NSW qualified supervisor certificate in the category of general building work that is not limited in the scope of work.
- Credentialled as an accredited building certifier.
- Currently employed as a council building inspector/surveyor/consultant.
You must complete the approved units of competency in order to apply for an owner-builder permit. There are no further exemptions.
Got to the owner-builder approved education requirement page for a list of registered training organisations.