Replacing a certifier

In certain circumstances, you (the property owner) can replace the accredited certifier who you’ve appointed to certify your building work.

Replacing a principal certifying authority (PCA)

The fastest and easiest way to replace your PCA is to reach agreement between you (the property owner), the current PCA and proposed new PCA.

There are two options to replace a principal certifying authority:

Option one (fastest option): Reach agreement between you, the current PCA and proposed new PCA.
The new PCA then notifies the council and the existing PCA, using the notice of new PCA form. You can only appoint the replacement PCA once notice is given to the council (and the consent authority where this is not the council).

Option two, if all three parties don't agree: Apply to the Building Professionals Board to change your PCA.
Complete an application to replace PCA form, providing a good reason to replace your PCA. You can’t appoint a new PCA until the Board approves and the council and outgoing PCA have been notified. The application must be from you (as the person with the benefit of development consent), or someone who has your written authorisation to apply.

PCAs whose accreditation is expired, suspended or cancelled

A certifier cannot act as your PCA if their accreditation is expired, suspended or cancelled. Your PCA needs to let you know immediately if this occurs. To replace your PCA, complete an application to replace PCA form and send it to the Board. The application fee is waived in these circumstances.

Replacing a swimming pool certifier

You can get another accredited certifier or the local council to inspect your swimming pool, if you’re not happy with your current certifier. Important considerations for pool owners:

  • Check the written contract between you and your certifier to ensure it doesn’t prevent you from appointing another certifier or the council.
  • Appointing a new certifier will not ‘undo’ the actions of the first certifier. If a notice of non-compliance has already been issued, the certifier who issued it is obliged to send the notice to the council if a certificate of compliance is not issued within six weeks. This applies even if the certifier has subsequently been replaced.
  • The law does not require the first certifier to provide records about your pool to the new certifier. However, certifiers must record each inspection on the Swimming Pool Register, and these results will be available to the new certifier.

Go to the Swimming Pool Register to find a swimming pool certifier.

Prev Solar panels
Next Concerns with development