Assistance for owners and tenants

If your home contains loose-fill asbestos, you might be eligible for financial assistance. This assistance ranges from stamp duty concession, relocation expenses, counselling, independent legal advice and replacement of soft furnishings. More information on assistance and eligibility is detailed below.

Relocation assistance

Financial relocation assistance is provided to affected owner-occupiers and tenants named on the residential lease.

Relocation assistance includes:

  • Owner-occupiers: $10,000, plus an additional $2,000 per dependent child living in an affected property (to a maximum of two children)
  • Tenants: $1,000 per tenant named on the residential lease.

Relocation assistance is only paid to homeowners :

  • after a property is sold to the NSW Government,
  • after the licence is granted for the NSW Government to enter the property and demolish the affected premises, or
  • to tenants once they have vacated the premises.

Only one payment is available per property.


To be considered a dependant, a child will need to fit into one of the following categories:

  • a child aged 5 or under
  • a child aged 6 to 18 and enrolled in full-time education or training
  • a child aged over 18 and enrolled in full-time education or training
  • a child aged over 18 with a disability and primary dependence on the homeowner.

The dependant must also be permanently residing (spent 50 percent or more of the time) in the affected.

A dependant child cannot be an eligible homeowner or a tenant named on a residential lease for an affected home.

Soft furnishings assistance

The Program will now provide up to $5,000 as a contribution towards the replacement of soft furnishings and/or porous materials like clothes, curtains or linen for owner-occupiers and tenants.

Previously, the Program offered residents up to $1,000 to replace soft furnishings. In May 2017, the Minister for Innovation and Better Regulation announced the soft furnishing assistance would be increased to $5,000 per affected property.

Eligibility for soft furnishings assistance is determined on the same basis as relocation assistance.


Owners of affected properties who haven’t leased their property can receive a financial assistance payment of $10,000. To be eligible:

  • A financial institution must hold a mortgage over the affected property;
  • The property must have been vacant for a continuous period of at least five months from when the owner(s) receive confirmation the property is affected by loose-fill asbestos insulation.
  • The owner must have sold the affected property to the NSW Government or have granted a licence to the NSW Government to enter the property and demolish the affected premises.

Only one investor assistance payment will be made per property. Owners who have received a relocation assistance payment are not eligible to receive the investor assistance payment and vice versa.

Rural property owners

Owners of properties that are larger than two hectares, will get an assistance payment of $15,000.

To be eligible to receive this payment, the owner must have granted a licence to the NSW Government to enter their property and demolish the affected premises and must have vacated the affected premises. Only one rural property owner assistance payment will be paid per property.

Independent legal advice

We encourage homeowners participating in the Program to be as informed as possible. It is recommended that eligible homeowners obtain independent legal advice in relation to the purchase and demolition process.

The Program will provide up to $1,000 in financial assistance per household to obtain legal advice. Financial assistance for independent legal advice is not available for tenants.

To be eligible, the applicant's property must have a positive test result for loose-fill asbestos that has been verified and confirmed by Fair Trading.

Stamp duty concession

Homeowners who sell an affected property to the NSW Government under the Program are entitled to a stamp duty concession on the purchase of a residential property in NSW.

You may apply to Revenue NSW to receive this concession once a binding agreement with the Government to purchase their property has been entered into. The exchange of the contract of sale is an example of when a binding agreement has been entered into.

The value of the concession is equal to the value of the stamp duty that would have been payable by the NSW Government when it purchased the affected property. You can only use the concession once, and the concession cannot reduce the value of duty payable below zero (i.e. you cannot receive a refund).

Example 1: if the NSW Government would have been liable for $20,000 of stamp duty by purchasing your home, then you purchase a new property with $25,000 stamp duty payable, you will only be required to pay $5,000.

Example 2: if the NSW Government would have been liable for $20,000 of stamp duty by purchasing your home, then you purchase a property with $15,000 stamp duty payable, you will not be required to pay any stamp duty.

The value of stamp duty is calculated as a percentage of the sale price. More information on stamp duty is available on the Duties concession for persons who have transferred property affected by loose-fill asbestos insulation to the State of NSW page on the Revenue NSW website or by calling 02 9689 6200.

Assistance from utility providers and financial institutions

We encourage owners and/or residents of affected premises to contact their bank, credit union or other financial institution, insurer and utility providers to discuss their situation as early as possible.

Contact details have been provided by the following financial institutions:

  • ANZ customers can call the Secured Non-Routine Team on 1800 888 410
  • NAB customers should contact their banker or relationship manager directly, or call NAB Assist – Customer Care on 1800 701 599
  • CBA customers can contact Adrian Dowd (Executive Manager Customer Assist & Operations) on 02 8887 9801, 0412 830 833 or
  • BankWest customers can visit the Experiencing Financial Hardship page on the BankWest website or contact Matthew Lilly on 08 9369 7138
  • HSBC recommends anyone participating in this program to contact their Relationship Manager in the first instance, or call HSBC Premier Customer Service on 1300 301 168 (open 24 hours)
  • Bendigo Bank and Adelaide Bank customers can contact Chris Naylor (Senior Retail Lending Manager Northern NSW) on 02 9497 3609 or 0428 100 653
  • Beyond Bank customers can contact Kaya Hassan (Area Business Development Manager) on 02 6286 0559, 0409 778 404 or
  • Macquarie Bank customers can contact Grant Edwards (Default Manager BFS Service & Operations Banking and Financial Services Group) on 02 8245 3139, 0404 184 431 or
  • Suncorp customers can contact Monique Reynolds (Regional Manager) on 0467 764 223 or
  • Teachers Mutual Bank and UniBank customers can contact Kevin King (ACT & Central Southern NSW Regional Manager) on 02 6250 2601, 0407 492 336 or

If you require a letter for your insurer, financial institution or utility provider from Fair Trading, contact your case manager.

Taxation considerations

The tax implications will vary depending on your situation:

  • Owner-occupiers: if the property has been used solely as your main residence for the entire period of ownership, there are no tax implications for the disposal of your property.
  • Investment property owners: there are tax implications if you participate in the Program. These will depend on your circumstances, including whether the property was ever used as your main residence and how long you have owned it. Specific information for investment property owners is available on the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website at The ATO also encourages investment property owners to contact them for personalised advice. Visit the Tax implications for property owners webpage on the ATO website to request a callback from an ATO subject matter expert within one business day.

Counselling services

Some homeowners and residents may experience stress and anxiety as a result of having a home with loose-fill asbestos. The Program offers financial support for up to five sessions of counselling per household, to the value of $850. Both owners and tenants are eligible to receive this assistance, but where there are multiple owners or tenants, only one payment will be made to owners and only one payment will be made to tenants.The payment is for fees not covered by Medicare and/or private health insurance.

To be eligible, the applicant must be the homeowner or tenant of an affected property that has a positive test result for loose-fill asbestos that has been verified and confirmed by Fair Trading.

NSW Health recommends individuals that require counselling support discuss their circumstances with their general practitioner in the first instance, as they are in a position to recommend the most appropriate support.

Options available from general practitioners include:

  • Referral to a mental health practitioner under a Mental Health Treatment Plan, which covers 10 sessions a year under Medicare
  • Referral for private counselling/psychological assessment.

Other community services available to affected residents:


Tel: 13 11 14

A 24-hour counselling, information and referral service. Local call cost from a landline; free from mobiles

Mental Health Line

Tel: 1800 011 511

A 24-hour telephone service, operating seven days a week across NSW


Tel: 1300 224 636

A national, independent not-for-profit organisation. Online and telephone support and counselling. Information on depression, anxiety and related disorders, available treatments and where to get help

Kids Helpline

Tel: 1800 551 800

Online and telephone counselling for children aged between 5 and 25 years of age


Tel: 1800 650 980

Online and telephone support and counselling to young people 12-25 years of age


Online self-help programs

Frequently asked questions

What if there are exceptional circumstances?

Applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis to make sure financial assistance is paid to meet the objectives of the Program. Fair Trading may, in exceptional circumstances, pay financial assistance where the eligibility requirements are not met. If you believe there are exceptional circumstances, contact your Case Manager to discuss your situation.

How long do I have to apply for financial assistance?

Homeowners can elect to sell their property to the government (Option 1) or permit the Government to demolish the affected premises in exchange for payment and retain their land (Option 2). Under Option 1, homeowners will sign a Contract for Sale of Land, and under Option 2, homeowners will sign a Licence Agreement.

Homeowners and tenants of affected properties can apply for financial assistance up to 12 months from the date of the Contract of Sale of Land or Licence Agreement.

How do I apply for financial assistance?

To apply for financial assistance, fill out the relevant form(s) and post to:

NSW Loose-fill Asbestos Implementation Taskforce

PO Box 972

Parramatta NSW 2124

Or scan and send the form to:

You can access the following financial assistance application forms from the Fair Trading website:

How is my application assessed?

Applications are assessed on the requirements set out above. We may contact you to request further information or documentation to support your application.

Next Valuation and purchase process