Privacy when renting

Tenants have the right to privacy when renting. A landlord, agent or anybody else acting on their behalf can enter the property if notice is provided.

Notice before entry


Notice required

To inspect the premises (up to four times per year)

At least seven days written notice

To do ordinary repairs or carry out maintenance

At least two days notice

To carry out urgent repairs, such as installation or repair of a smoke alarm, fixing a burst water pipe, a gas leak or a blocked toilet)


To comply with health and safety obligations, such as inspecting smoke alarms

At least two days notice

To obtain a property valuation (once in a 12 month period)

At least seven days notice

To show a prospective tenant (in the last 14 days before your tenancy is due to end)

Reasonable notice on each occasion

In an emergency


If they have tried to contact you and been unable to do so and have reasonable cause for serious concern about your health or safety or other occupants


If they reasonably believe the premises have been abandoned by you


To show the premises to prospective buyers

Two weeks written notice before the first inspection.

After the first inspection, you can agree on a suitable time frame but no more than 2 inspections per week with 48 hours notice.

In accordance with a NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal order

As ordered by the Tribunal

As the tenant, you can give the landlord or agent permission to enter the property at any time for any reason.

Limits on access

  • In most circumstances, access is not permitted on Sundays, public holidays or outside the hours of 8am to 8pm.
  • Where practical, you should be notified of the approximate time when access will be required.
  • If a person wants  to enter the property without the landlord or agent (e.g. a selling agent, valuer or tradesperson) they must have written consent.

These limits do not apply in an emergency, for urgent repairs, if the premise is abandoned, if the Tribunal so orders or if you agree.

Entry when you are not home

After permission is given, you don’t need to be home for the landlord, agent or authorised person to enter.

Unlawful entry

It is an offence for a landlord or someone on their behalf to enter the premises without following the correct procedures. If the problem is serious or persistent, or any goods are damaged or stolen, contact the Tribunal.

Prev Pests and vermin
Next Mortgagee repossession