• Download
  • Print

Most recent

Product safety

Infinity electrical cable safety recall

05 August, 2020
Infinity cables, imported by Infinity Cable Co Pty Ltd, were recalled nationally after they failed electrical safety standards due to poor quality plastic insulation coating.
Read more
Associations & co-operatives

Reporting changes for associations registered as charities with the ACNC

10 September, 2018
Reporting changes for NSW incorporated associations registered as charities with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) start on 1 October 2018.
Read more

23 June 2019

Housing & Property

Mascot Towers assistance package

Accommodation assistance is being offered to residents whose homes in the Mascot Towers are temporarily unsafe to occupy.

What's in the assistance package?

The NSW Government will help you pay for alternative accommodation costs for up to three months while your apartment is unsafe to occupy.

Depending on the size of the apartment you occupied, you can get assistance to cover your accommodation costs up to:

  • $220 per night per each 1 bedroom apartment
  • $300 per night per each 2 bedroom apartment
  • $400 per night per each 3 bedroom apartment


  • The assistance package is available to both tenants and owner occupiers who reside at Mascot Towers. You will need to show your apartment is the place you live.
  • Assistance is only available for the period your unit is unsafe for occupation.
  • For owner occupiers, you can obtain upfront assistance on the basis this would be repaid if you later receive compensation from insurance or some other means.
  • For tenants, you can obtain assistance for the cost of alternative accommodation if you continue to pay your normal rent.  If you have received rent relief from the landlord, that rent relief will be deducted from the nightly package.

How to apply

First you need to register online. Once you have registered we'll send you a claim form.

You will need to have incurred your accommodation costs first and be able to provide proof of that.

Fair Trading will consider and approve claims as quickly as possible. You can help speed up the process by making sure you provide relevant proof of occupancy and accommodation costs.

If you can’t register online please call the Mascot Towers Hotline on 13 32 20

Frequently asked questions

About the package

What if my accommodation costs exceed this amount?

This package has been introduced to help tenants and owner occupiers meet only emergency accommodation costs they have incurred. You may only make a claim for actual alternative accommodation (rent and room bookings).

What if I am an owner who rents my unit?

This assistance package is being made available to help people who have been required to relocate from Mascot Towers and find alternative accommodation.

I am renting but have now terminated my agreement, am I still eligible to apply?

Yes, if you paid rent and incurred costs for alternate accommodation, you can claim these costs up until the termination of your agreement took effect.

Can I receive assistance in advance?

No, you need to have incurred the cost in the first instance and be able to provide tax receipts. Fair Trading will consider and approve claims as quickly as possible.

You can help speed up the process by making sure you provide relevant proof of occupancy and accommodation cost

Can I claim payments for accommodation that I have paid in advance?

Yes, if you are required to pay for your accommodation in advance, you can claim once you are in receipt of a tax receipt.

Can I claim for meals and other out of pocket expenses?

The assistance package provides financial support for alternate accommodation costs only.  The avenues for compensation for other costs will depend on whether you are a tenant and any agreement between you and your landlord.  For more information on your particular circumstances, please contact our hotline.

Can I claim for parking?

Yes, as long as the parking is part of the costs charged by your accommodation provider.

Can I claim boarding costs for my pet?

The assistance package only covers emergency rental accommodation for tenants and owner-occupiers. The package has been provided at a generous daily cap and flexible so that residents are able to source suitable accommodation to meet their needs – including short term stay accommodation providers that allow pets. The package doesn’t extend to off-site kennelling of pets.

Are there any conditions?

You can only obtain assistance on the basis it would be repaid if you later receive compensation or payment for your accommodation costs under an insurance policy or some other means.

For strata owners

As a strata lot owner/occupier am I entitled to compensation for the period I have been unable to reside in my property?

Please contact the strata manager, for details of the strata scheme's insurance arrangements. You should also check your home and contents insurance policy. The contact number for Mascot Towers is 0400 366 243.

In the interim, owner occupiers that have been required to relocate are eligible to apply for assistance.

For tenant and landlords

How does the assistance work if I am a tenant and have have my rent reduced or waived?

The amount of assistance you receive will depend on how much rent you are paying -

  • If you have continued to pay full rent for your residence in Mascot Towers, you can claim the full cost of alternative accommodation;
  • If your rent for Mascot Towers was reduced or waived, the amount you can claim for alternative accommodation will be reduced by an equivalent amount. For example, if your rent is $550 per week and has been waived in full and, your alternate accommodation costs are $750 for the week, you will receive $200 in assistance.

Can the tenancy agreement be terminated without penalty?

It depends.

If a property is wholly or partly uninhabitable, the landlord or tenant can issue a termination notice in writing.

Once served, the notice can take effect immediately or can specify a later date. No rent is payable from the day the tenant moves out. Any rent already paid in advance must be fully refunded.

There is no penalty for breaking the lease.

But if the property is deemed safe, habitable and the tenant can move back into the property the agreement cannot be ended based on a frustrated agreement.

If you are unable to reach an agreement tenants or landlords/agents can use Fair Trading's free tenancy complaint service. Fair Trading’s experienced staff will talk through the issues and contact the parties involved in an attempt to negotiate an agreement.

Airbnb  bookings

What do I do about my accommodation booked through Airbnb?

If you have booked your accommodation through Airbnb please refer to your contract for the terms and conditions. You may also wish to contact Airbnb.

If you are unsuccessful you may lodge a complaint with Fair Trading.

If you need more help

Who can I talk to about financial hardship? 

Fair Trading provides funding for The Salvation Army Moneycare Western Sydney Financial Counselling Service services. To speak with a financial counsellor you may contact 9633 5011.

Is there a counselling service available?

For anyone seeking personal crises care, counselling or support resources, please contact Lifeline Crisis Support available 24 hours on 13 11 14.

Tenancy advice

You may contact Fair Trading on 13 32 20 for information regarding your tenancy.

Fair Trading also provides funding for the Tenancy Advice and Advocacy Service who provides free advice to tenants in NSW.

The Redfern Legal Centre’s Inner Sydney Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service  is open from 9am-1pm and 2-6pm Monday to Thursday, 9am-1pm and 2-5pm on Friday and can be contacted on 02 9698 5975.

Further information from the strata manager and building manager

Stratachoice as the appointed strata manager and Building Management Australia will continue to update residents on the status of the evacuation of Mascot Towers.

If you require further information you should contact Building Management Australia on 0400 366 243.

Prev Stay safe this winter
Next Retirement village law changes start today