• Download
  • Print

Most recent

Product safety

Infinity electrical cable safety recall

05 August, 2020
Infinity cables, imported by Infinity Cable Co Pty Ltd, were recalled nationally after they failed electrical safety standards due to poor quality plastic insulation coating.
Read more
Associations & co-operatives

Reporting changes for associations registered as charities with the ACNC

10 September, 2018
Reporting changes for NSW incorporated associations registered as charities with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) start on 1 October 2018.
Read more

16 November 2018

Trades & businesses

Renew your motor vehicle trade certificate

Your trade certificate needs to be renewed every 3 years. If you've never renewed you should to do so now, before the transitional period ends.

Why the change?

In 2014, reforms to the Motor Dealers and Repairers Act 2013 were introduced meaning tradespeople now need to renew their certificate every 3 years.

This three-yearly renewal period helps to ensure the register is kept up to date and the integrity of the industry and its businesses is maintained.

Who does this effect

If you’re a tradesperson working in one of these motor vehicle classes below, you need a tradesperson certificate to carry out motor vehicle repairs even if you already hold a motor vehicle repairer’s licence.

List of classes

  • automotive electrician
  • body maker
  • compressed natural gas mechanic
  • liquefied natural gas mechanic
  • liquefied petroleum gas mechanic
  • motorcycle mechanic
  • motor mechanic
  • panel beater
  • transmission specialist
  • underbody work, and
  • vehicle painter

I've never renewed, is my certificate current?

Yes, for now. But you will need to renew.

Starting from 2014, there was a transitional period to allow people time to adjust to the changes.

Then, in June 2018, an extension to the transitional period was granted and everyone who hadn't renewed automatically had their certification reinstated

To check your certificate’s status, you can search the public register.

If you have never renewed, then your status will say ‘expired’ and this means you should renew now.

If you have previously renewed, then the date and status shown on the public register is correct.

Failure to renew your certificate may mean that you have to provide a new application for a tradesperson certificate and meet new qualifications to a Certificate III level.

What about restricted or conditional certificates?

If you already have a restricted or conditional motor vehicle tradesperson’s certificate or a radiator repairer tradesperson’s certificate you’ll keep your existing certificate but will be required to renew it every three years.

This allows people with these certificates to continue to work as long as their certificate remains valid.

We are not approving new restricted, provisional or conditional certificates.

How do I renew?

If you have never renewed your certificate

  1. Check your certificate’s status by visiting the public register
  2. If you are expired, download the application for renewal under transitional arrangements form (PDF, 387.28 KB)
  3. Lodge the form at your nearest Service NSW service centre

If you have renewed before

You don't need to do anything until you receive a renewal notice a month prior to your expiry. This will include a renewal transaction number that will enable you to renew online and receive a discount, or to renew in person at your nearest Service NSW Centre.

More information

Prev Better Business Reforms
Next Fair Trading Christmas opening hours