Applying for and renewing registration

Important: The Building and Development Certifiers Act and Regulation commenced on 1 July 2020.

This new legislation has been created to regulate the certifier industry. It also brings changes in key areas that certifiers need to understand.

Find out more about the changes.

To become a registered certifier in NSW, you must apply to Fair Trading. Including all required information will help us process your application more quickly.

Email your completed application form to and pay the fee by electronic funds transfer/bank deposit.

On this page:

Apply for individual registration

All applicants need to submit the registration application form (PDF, 465.05 KB) plus the following as needed (not all documents are needed for all classes of registration):

Building surveying applicants

Submit the information/documents as explained in our guides:

Building inspector applicants

Download the building inspector guide to find out the requirements for becoming a building inspector.

Submit the below template to demonstrate attendance at critical stage inspections required for class 1 and class 10 buildings.

All other applicants

Applicants except swimming pool inspectors and building inspector pathway 2 students, submit a report demonstrating how you satisfy the knowledge and skills requirements.

Download the relevant guide to help prepare your report:

Apply for corporate (company) registration

Apply for mutual recognition

If you are a registered certifier in another State/Territory, you can apply for registration in NSW under mutual recognition laws:

Changing your registration details

To add, change or remove a class or condition of registration:

Renew registration every 1, 3 or 5 years

If your renewal form is received by Fair Trading before your registration expires, your registration will continue even if your form is still being processed after the expiry date.

Even if you renew every 3 or 5 years, you must still submit evidence of professional indemnity insurance every year to Fair Trading.

Registration that expired less than 90 days ago

If your registration expired within the last 90 days, complete an application to reinstate your registration. If it expired more than 90 days ago, you must complete a new application.

You can't carry out any certification work until you've been advised of your application's outcome.

Change your details

It’s important that Fair Trading have your current details.

If you need to let us know of a change to your personal, business, employment or insurance details, complete and submit the Change of Details PDF, 105.24 KB form form within 14 days of the change.

Prev Certifier responsibilities
Next Continuing professional development