The current edition of the Australian/New Zealand Standard for Wiring Rules (AS/NZS 3000:2007) began in NSW on 1 June 2008. Produced by the joint Standards Australia/Standards New Zealand Committee EL-001, the revised edition expands on the issues relating to electrical installations and improving safeguards.
Key changes to the Wiring Rules Standard include:
- the extended application of Residual Current Devices (RCDs) and testing for correct operation
- protection against arcing faults
- requirements for selectivity (discrimination) between circuits
- strengthening of requirements for the prevention of the spread of fire
- enhanced requirements for recessed luminaries
- requirements for sanitisation areas in the food processing industry.
The 2007 edition of the Wiring Rules is available from SAI Global.
In 2018 the Wiring Rules are expected to be updated. Information on the new Rules will be published on this website as it becomes available.