All serious medical gas accidents must be reported to SafeWork NSW (if it’s a workplace), emergency services, and Fair Trading to investigate.
A serious medical gas accident means an accident:
- caused by the use of a medical gas installation or work carried out on a medical gas installation
- where a person dies, suffers permanent disability, is hospitalised, receives treatment from a registered health practitioner, or is unable to attend work for any period of time.
Accident reporting and enforcement extend to any necessary modifications, to medical gasfiitting work and medical gas technician work and for that purpose the following applies:
- gas is taken to include a reference to medical gas
- a gas installation is taken to include a reference to a medical as installation
- gasfiitting work is taken to include a reference to medical gasfiitting work and medical as technician work
- an authorised gasfitter is taken to include a reference to a person who is authorised under the Gas and Electricity (Consumer Safety) Act 2017 to work
- a serious gas accident is taken to include a reference to a serious medical gas accident.
When you make a report, include information on what happened, where, when, and your contact details.
To report an incident phone: 13 32 20