Information for plumbers and drainers
Important: This information only applies to the Greater Sydney, Blue Mountains, Illawarra and Newcastle/Hunter regions. Inspections outside these areas must be booked through the local council.
How to book
Contact the Plumbing Inspections Booking Line on 1300 889 099 between 7am - 7pm Monday to Friday (extended hours apply from 1 June 2020) to book an audit inspection.
Inspection hours are 8am to 4pm, Monday to Friday. We can make after-hours inspections for an additional fee.
The booking team will try to arrange an inspection time and date that is suitable. To book a plumbing inspection for the next business day, you need to book before 12pm. Same day inspections are unavailable.
You must ensure a fee is paid before you make an audit inspection booking. Go to the plumbing and drainage inspection fees page for more information.
Information required when booking an audit inspection
Have this information ready when you book an inspection:
- proof of inspection payment, MyInspections receipt number
- your plumber’s licence number and contact details (not company details)
- job site address, including the lot number and street number
- site specific information to assist the inspector, including the type of building, the meeting point on a large site, site induction requirements, or time constraints related to road opening, etc
- site contact name and phone number (if an agreed representative will attend the site on your behalf)
- details of the type of inspection type you need. For example, drainage work, recycled water work, an unattended final audit inspection or re-inspection of non-compliant work.
Unattended final inspections
You must notify Fair Trading of the day the work will be complete and ready for a final audit inspection. Fair Trading may then carry out an audit inspection at any time during business hours on that day.
Go to the unattended final inspection page for more information.
What if I need to cancel an inspection?
An inspection may be cancelled 45 minutes before the booked time without losing the audit inspection fee. Note: If cancellation is made within 45 minutes, you will be charged the full inspection fee and an additional fee will be required to rebook the inspection. Licensees may also face a non-compliance notice.
To cancel an inspection, call PIAS on 1300 889 099 between 7am - 7pm, Monday to Friday (extended hours from 1 June 2020).
If your work is selected for an inspection
If your work is selected for an inspection, a Fair Trading inspector will arrive on site at the booked time. You must:
- meet the inspector on-site or ensure a technically qualified representative is present (this does not apply for an unattended final audit inspection)
- make sure the Notice of Work has been supplied
- have all work uncovered and under test (where required) at the time of the audit inspection
- provide all relevant documents (where required) at the time of the audit inspection eg. Sewer Service Diagram and Certificate of Compliance.
If your work is not selected for an inspection
If an inspector does not arrive at the site within 30 minutes after the booked time, or if they do not let you know of their delay, you can assume the job has not been selected for an audit inspection and you can continue to work.