Information for plumbers and drainers
Important: This information only applies to Sydney, Illawarra, Blue Mountains and the Newcastle areas.
How to book
Contact Plumbing Inspection and Assurance Services (PIAS) booking line on 1300 889 099 (option1), between 7:30am – 12pm (midday) Monday to Friday to book an audit inspection.
Inspection hours are 8am to 4pm, Monday to Friday. An after-hours inspection can be done for an additional fee.
The booking team will try to arrange an inspection time and date that is suitable. Next day bookings are subject to availability. Same day inspections are not available.
You must ensure a fee is paid before you make an audit inspection booking. Go to the plumbing and drainage inspection fees page for more information.
Information required when booking an audit inspection
Have the following information ready when you book an inspection:
- Proof of inspection payment, MyInspections receipt number
- Your plumber’s licence number and contact details (not company details)
- The address of the job site including the lot number and street number
- Site specific information to assist the inspector, including the type of building, the meeting point on a large site, site induction requirements, or time constraints related to road opening, etc
- The site contact name and phone number (if an agreed representative will attend the site on your behalf)
- The details of the inspection type being requested, for example drainage work, recycled water work, an unattended final audit inspection or re-inspection of non-compliant work.
Unattended final inspections
You must notify Fair Trading of the day the work will be complete and ready for a final audit inspection. Fair Trading may then carry out an audit inspection at any time during business hours on that day.
Go to the unattended final inspection page for more information.
What if I need to cancel an inspection?
An inspection may be cancelled up to one hour prior to the booked time without the loss of an audit inspection fee, if the cancellation is made within one hour of the booked time, the fee will be used and an additional fee will be required to rebook the inspection.
To cancel an inspection, call PIAS on 1300 889 099 (option 1) between 7:30am and 12pm (midday), Monday to Friday.
Outside of these hours, send a text message to 0400 773 541 (please do not use this number for any other purpose or at any other time). If you cancel by text message, you must provide a valid reference number or inspection ID and the site address details in your message. You’ll receive a confirmation text message the next business day.
A valid reference number is:
- the initial reference number used to book your inspection
- the inspection ID given to you when you booked your inspection.
If your work is selected for an inspection
If your work is selected for an inspection, a Fair Trading inspector will arrive on site at the time booked. You must:
- meet the inspector on-site or ensure a technically qualified representative is present (this does not apply for an unattended final audit inspection)
- make sure the Notice of Work (NoW) has been supplied
- have all work uncovered and under test (where required) at the time of the audit inspection
- provide all relevant documents (where required) at the time of the audit inspection eg. Sewer Service Diagram (SSD) and Certificate of Compliance (CoC).
If your work is not selected for an inspection
If an inspector does not arrive at the site within 30 minutes after the booked time, or if they do not let you know of their delay, you can assume the job has not been selected for an audit inspection. You can continue to work.