Regional plumbing and drainage inspections

Important: This information only applies to NSW plumbing and drainage inspections outside the  Sydney, Illawarra, Blue Mountains and the Newcastle areas.

Information for plumbers and drainers

NSW plumbing reforms

NSW Fair Trading is the state’s single plumbing and drainage regulator for all on-site plumbing and drainage work and has delegated inspection and enforcement powers to regional councils, county councils or other qualified bodies. As part of the plumbing regulatory framework, Fair Trading licenses plumbers and drainers under the Home Building Act 1989, and all plumbing and drainage work must be done by a person who holds a licence, qualified supervisor certificate or tradesperson certificate in the appropriate class. Also, a system of on-site regulation makes sure that NSW plumbing and drainage work is monitored, so it complies with technical standards and regulations.

What does this mean for plumbers and drainers in regional NSW?

Plumbers and drainers working in regional NSW should continue to contact their local council to book inspections, pay inspection fees, submit documentation and for enquiries. For information about inspection requirements in the metro area please go to the metro plumbing and drainage inspections page.

Documents and forms

Plumbers and drainers are required to submit the following documents at certain stages of the work:

  • Notice of Work needs to be submitted to the regulator before the work begins.
  • Certificate of Compliance needs to be submitted to the regulator and a copy provided to the person for whom the work was carried out, on completion of the final inspection.
  • Sewer Service Diagram needs to be submitted to the regulator and a copy provided to the owner of the land or the owners agent.

To get these documents, contact the council in the area the work is being done.

When must I book an inspection?

Inspections are generally required when:

  • drainage work is finished and before backfilling or covering the installation
  • a connection to a Network Utility Operator sewer main is finished and before backfilling
  • water supply work is finished and before cladding walls and or ceilings
  • when there is a need for re-inspection or for an inspection of non-compliant work
  • at the completion of all the work, ie. a final inspection.

Codes and Standards

The Plumbing Code of Australia (PCA) is the technical standard for all plumbing and drainage work in NSW. All plumbing and drainage work in NSW must comply with the PCA. The PCA replaced the more prescriptive NSW Code of Practice for Plumbing and Drainage and other local requirements and allows plumbers to work easily across different regions, without needing to know local variations. Go to the plumbing code standards and notes page for more information.

Subscribe to keep up-to-date

Subscribe to Newsflush, Fair Trading's quarterly e-newsletter, to receive up-to-date information about the plumbing and drainage industry.

Prev Metropolitan plumbing and drainage inspections
Next Submitting a notice of work