The application of a clear, resin based or pigmented product in liquid form which, when applied to a surface by brush, roller or spray gun, forms a dry, adherent film. Paint may be applied for decorative or protective purposes and may be applied to any appropriate surface on any structure, fixture, fitting or apparatus. For licensing purposes, works encompassed by the term painting include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- textured coatings applied by the abovementioned methods
- preparation and minor repair (but not renewal or replacement) of surfaces prior to painting.
Important note: Since 2015 stand-alone contracts for internal paintwork no longer need a licence, unless done as part of other home building work. Please refer to the Major changes to home building laws page.
- CPC30611 / CPC30608 / BCG30603 Certificate III in Painting and Decorating; or
- BCG30498 Certificate Ill in General Construction (Painting & Decorating) TAFE course #8063; or
- Qualification 11766 Certificate III in Painting and Decorating TAFE course #2155; or
- Certificate III in Painting and Decorating, Trade TAFE course #5129.
Go to the building licensing courses page to find a Registered Training Organisation that provides the qualification listed above.
Previous licence and supervisor certificate holders
If you have ever held a licence or supervisor certificate in the current prescribed categories (Home Building Regulation 2014, clauses 13 and 14, excluding clause 13(a)(ii)) that was not subject to restrictions or conditions and you apply for a new licence or supervisor certificate, your previous licence or certificate will be accepted in lieu of the current qualification requirements.
If you have held a licence or supervisor certificate in the last five years that was subject to restrictions or conditions in the prescribed categories (Home Building Regulation 2014, clauses 13 and 14, excluding clause 13(a)(ii)), we will assess your application and reissue you a licence or certificate that reflects the scope of work that your licence or certificate covered. This may include some conditions or restrictions.