Proof of identity requirement

You need proof of identity with every application for an individual home building licence, certificate or permit. This accountability reduces fraudulent conduct within the home building industry.

You need to apply in person at any ServiceNSW Centre or Government Access Centre. Applications will not be accepted by mail, fax or electronic means. The proof of identity (POI) required with each application is:

Applicants must provide one (1) document from list 1 below.

The document must show the applicant’s day, month and year of birth, a current photo and signature.

Document list 1

  • A current Australian photo driver’s licence or equivalent current photo card issued by a State or Territory Government agency
  • A current Australian passport
  • A current non-Australian passport

Applicants MUST provide two (2) documents from the below table, noting that;

At least one (1) of the proof of identity documents MUST be from list 2 that shows your current residential address.

Document list 2
  • A passbook or account statement from a bank, building society or credit union up to 1 year old
  • A telephone, gas or electricity bill up to 1 year old
  • A water rates, council rates or land valuation notice up to 1 year old
  • A residential tenancy agreement up to 1 year old
  • Current Insurance renewal for house, contents, vehicle, boat up to 1 year old
  • Taxation notice of assessment up to 1 year old
  • An electoral enrolment card or the evidence of enrolment up to 1 year old

Document list 3

  • Provided two or more documents from list 2 and therefore do not need to supply any document from list 3


  • A current Medicare card
  • A current ATM, credit or debit card with your name and signature issued by a bank, building society credit union, or any other financial institution.
  • A current student identity card or a certificate or statement of enrolment up to 1 year old from an education institution
  • A current photo identification card issued for NSW regulatory purposes (includes NSW Firearm licence, NSW Security operator licence, NSW Commercial Agents and Private Inquiry Agents operator licence etc)

The application will also need one recent passport quality photo.

Proof of identity applies to individuals, and includes applicants of an individual contractor, a qualified supervisor, a tradesperson certificate or owner builder permit.

Prev Licence classes
Next Company and partnership licences