Cancelled or suspended licences

Your licence or certificate can be cancelled or suspended for a range of disciplinary reasons and/or if you:

  • become involved in unlawful activity
  • obtain a licence by misrepresentation or fraudulent means
  • become bankrupt or subject to a winding up order.

Immediate action required

If your licence or certificate has been cancelled or suspended you must immediately:

  • stop all business activity that relates to the licence or certificate
  • remove any sign or advertisement relating to the business activity for the licence or certificate
  • return the licence or certificate to NSW Fair Trading by mail or lodge it at a Service NSW Centre.

We also advise that you let all your clients know, either verbally or in writing, that your licence has been cancelled or suspended and you are unable to complete any unfinalised work relating to the licence or certificate.

Property, stock and business agents or conveyancers

For licences or certificates under the Property, Stock and Business Agents Act 2002 or the Conveyancers Licensing Act 2003, Fair Trading can help make alternative arrangements with incomplete real estate transactions particularly when client funds are involved.

Motor vehicle repairers and motor dealers

If you held a licence or tradesperson certificate issued under the Motor Vehicle Repairs Act 1980 you should also refund any money paid in advance for work you will not be able to complete and allow clients to retrieve their motor vehicles subject to any right of lien for work already completed.

If you held a licence issued under the Motor Dealers Act 1974, for any consignment sales, you should return any unsold motor vehicles to the owners and refund the net sale proceeds from any sold vehicles.

Pawnbrokers and second-hand dealers

If you held a licence issued under the Pawnbrokers and Second-hand Dealers Act 1996, it’s important that you give verbal or written notice to people whose goods are being held and the redemption period has not yet expired. Fair Trading has the power to make orders in relation to the redemption of goods held in that business.

Prev Applying for or renewing a licence
Next Notice to show cause