Home building licence check

You should always check your tradesperson is licensed for:

  • residential building work valued at more than $5,000 in labour and materials
  • ALL specialist work regardless of its cost.

This includes electrical wiring, plumbing, drainage and gasfitting work and air conditioning and refrigeration work (except plug-in appliances).

In NSW licensing protects you in the following ways:

  • you deal with a legitimate business
  • the tradesperson has the right qualifications for the job
  • you enjoy better consumer protection
  • you help to keep the shonks out.

The licence check will show you background information about the tradie, both current and historical. When something is marked with a green tick, this means it’s current and a start date will advise you when it was added to the licence record. If it’s marked with a grey cross, this means that it’s no longer current. You will see a start date and an end date next to any condition that has this grey cross.

Watch our YouTube video - Licensed and Loving it.

Go to our licence classes and qualifications page to find out about the different types of home building licences in NSW.

Owner-Builder Permit check

The owner-builder permit check will show you if a property had an owner-builder permit issued for residential building work in the last 10 years.

Don’t forget to read about your rights and responsibilities when you do home building and renovation work, including advice on selecting a tradesperson or builder, contracts, home building compensation fund and resolving home building disputes.

Prev Complaints register
Next Property services licence check