Reporting changes for associations registered as charities with the ACNC11 December, 2019
11 December, 2019
Findings from the 2019 Certifier audit program
In 2019, the Building Professionals Board, as part of NSW Fair Trading, commenced audits of the certification activities of accredited certifiers.
Key objectives of the audit program are to:
- promote compliance with regulatory requirements
- identify areas of certification practice that require attention
- capture data to inform industry education programs
- improve practices and procedures.
Key audit findings of 2019
In some cases, the certifying authority:
- failed to ensure that a builder had the appropriate licence
- issued a construction certificate (CC) where there was a significant discrepancy in the development’s estimated cost on the CC application form and the home building compensation scheme
- included a fire safety schedule with the CC where the schedule failed to comply with the EP&A Regulation, i.e. did not list current fire safety measures installed in the building
- accepted final fire safety certificates that contained additional measures not detailed in the fire safety schedule for the development
- issued a CC or complying development certificate where endorsed drawings did not show any fire safety measures
- accepted CC and occupation certificate (OC) application forms that did not contain a list of documents accompanying the application
- made an incorrect reference to the EP&A Regulation on a record of inspection
- issued a CC where the plans and specifications for the building did not depict such matters as the BASIX certificate required i.e. plans did not indicate required eaves
- issued an OC that was inconsistent with the development consent
- did not keep adequate records, for the purpose of clause 8(1)(g) of the Building Professionals Regulation, in relation to specifying the classification of the building and recording the Lot/DP numbers.
The audit program is ongoing and we will update this page as it progresses.
Contact the Board if you have any enquiries.