When buying goods, it’s important to understand your consumer rights to avoid costly mistakes.
Before you buy:
- think about what you want the product to do
- shop around and compare quality and price
- take your time and avoid impulse shopping
- ask for a receipt if you do not get one
- keep your receipts in a safe place for refund and warranty purposes
- check the seller’s refund policy before you buy anything
- beware of scams
- If you’re buying products from overseas – always check if the manufacturer has service arrangements in Australia. You don’t want to get stuck with a faulty product and no-one local to fix it
- think twice before paying a deposit as a business may keep all or part of it if you change your mind
- ensure toys you buy for children are appropriate and safe for their age
- remember, interest free deals are not cost free – you generally will have to pay ongoing fees
- check your credit card statements carefully and make sure only the things you have bought have been charged to you
It is illegal for businesses to mislead you or use high-pressure selling tactics.
Always keep the receipts, dockets or invoices supplied by the business as proof of purchase.
Information on what to do when a product has multiple prices shown.
Bag check guidelines
Information on your rights and responsibilities when your bag is checked leaving a store.
Information about buying electronic goods and what you can do when things go wrong.
Information on your rights and responsibilities when you buy and have your whitegoods repaired.
Free range eggs
Information about the national labelling standards for free range eggs.
Information on the jewellery industry code of conduct.
Information about the sale and use of spray paint.
Information to help you when buying petrol and other fuels
Unsolicited goods and services
Information about goods or services that are supplied to someone who hasn’t agreed to purchase or receive them.
Consumer rights: Myths and facts
A list of topics where we explain common myths about consumer rights.