Building Stronger Foundations

Submission cover sheet

  • Name of organisation or individual making this submission

    Confidentiality requested

Questions on possible options

  1. What kind of plans should be signed off and declared by a statutory declaration?

    Multi-storey complex buildings

  2. Should a statutory declaration accompany all variations to plans or only major variations?

    Only major variations.

  3. How should plans be provided to, or accessed by, the Building Commissioner?

    Via the electronic portal

  4. In what circumstances would it be difficult to document performance solutions and their compliance with the BCA?

    After the building has been built and completed

  5. What would the process for declaring that a building complies with its plans look like?

    Through documentation and signing off on all relevant stages of the building process.

  6. What kind of role should builders play in declaring final building work?

    The builder has a major role throughout the building process. Records of documentation with due diligence that all stages of the building process have been completed to the relevant applicable standards, regulations and legislation. Work in conjunction with designers, engineers and the trades to ensure the building is completed as per drawings and to standards. Ensure that engineering and certifiers are engaged at all relevant approval phases of the construction process.

  7. Which builders involved in building work should be responsible for signing off on buildings?

    The main project builder and/or project managers.

  8. Are existing licensing regimes appropriate to be accepted as registration for some builders and building designers, such as architects, for the new scheme?

    Licensing should be targeted to the individual professionals areas and not one size fits all approach, since, the scope of works and processes vary with each discipline. Those building designer associations which have an existing accreditation processes, would be able to be adapted for licensing.

  9. What should be the minimum requirements for a registration scheme?

    Compulsory Continuing professional development (CPD) Minimum educational levels Appropriate experience in the field of work

  10. What form of insurance should be mandatory for ‘building designers’? Why?

    Professional indemnity and where applicable Contract administration. Consumer protection.

  11. What kinds of minimum requirements should be prescribed for the insurance policy (for example, value, length of cover, etc.)?

    Generally as per insurer, and the value would vary in accordance with the level of projects that are undertaken.

  12. What skills should be mandatory for ‘building designers’?

    Relevant skills in their areas of expertise, i.e., building designers would have skills in designing for the built environment to create the best outcome for the occupants of that space. Knowledge of products and legislation requirements.

  13. Which categories of building practitioners should owe a duty of care?

    All building practitioners should owe a duty of care for their clients, for example, building designers would focus on the best built environment for their clients, engineers on structural integrity, Certifiers that building are built to a safe standard and comply with the relevant regulations, standards and legislation. The duty of care would change from discipline to discipline.

  14. What should be the scope of the duty of care? Should it apply to all or certain types of work? If so, which work?

    Duty of care scope should apply to all works.

  15. What types of consumers should be owed a duty of care?

    The consumers who are going to be living in the built space.

At our discretion we may remove parts of submissions because of length, content, appropriateness or confidentiality (privacy) reasons.